I ride trails and mx.

I've done:

18 inch WR wheel

3.3 gal tank

handguards

12 oz flywheel weight

FMF Q pipe

Skid plate and disc guards

It works great on trails and track. I also believe it's better to have trail ready with the stock suspension for mx riding.

I use my 03 for trail riding mostly and I would suggest a flywheel weight. I also geared mine down just a tad. I ride pretty tight Mn. trails. The best investment by far though was a Rekluse clutch. It turned an o.k. trail bike into an awesome trailbike. It saves so much energy not having to concentrate on not stalling that it makes riding much more enjoyable. It took a fair amont of dicking around on the install , but now that I got it adjusted right and talked with a tech at Rekluse to better understand how to best adjust jetting along with stall speed and idle and fuel screw it works great. Good luck = this is probably the bike with most fun factor I have ridden in 35 years of riding

First of all, does anybody know if additional gaskets are needed for the side cover when installing a Rekluse clutch on a YZ450? Their tech support is a little (more than a little) slow. This bike is too much fun to start the installation before I know for sure that I will be able to ride it the next day without re-working things and hunting around for additional parts. Supposedly, some bikes need as much as 1/4" of additional gasket material (which apparently is not supplied). I'm still waiting (over a week later - for a reply from Rekluse). I've already received junk mail from them, but NO RESPONSE TO MY DAMNED QUESTION.

I use my 450 for everything. And this bike seems to be able to do it all with a few modifications, and it's still 20+ lbs lighter than the WR. I geared mine way down as a test for the woods; not enough top end for fast sections, and it still stalled easily (a double negative that was the final deciding factor for ordering a Rekluse clutch). The only starting problem I have experienced is when it dies unexpectedly when I have the throttle rolled on. Even with my XR600 (which has a heavy flywheel), an unexpected stall in tight areas is bound to happen once in a while, most likely when you're too worn out to kickstart the thing. The Rekluse should eliminate this.

So, here's the configuration for what should be the ultimate all-around toy.

1. Rekluse clutch - This bike has enough power that throttle control can subtitute the effects of a heavy flywheel, if the Rekluse prevents it from stalling. And you still have HUGE acceleration if you want it. Gone are the days of stabbing the throttle and wishing for more. You modulate this throttle, or the power will get you into trouble. The $100 price tag for the unnecessary flywheel weight is a good discount to apply to the cost of the Rekluse.

2. Steel sprockets front and rear (15/50 seems to be great if the Rekluse compensates for the tall 1st gear), and o-ring chain. Very few riders will notice the power loss or added weight. You can adjust the stock chain (with aluminum sprocket) every ride, or adjust o-ring and steel once every 10 rides.

3. Exhaust that allows quick change of spark arrestor. I went with Pro Moto Billet. Four screws, and you have a spark arrestor (with 'USFS approved' label) for the woods, and only slight loss of power (still plenty), but slight jetting problems (due to overheating) if you forget to remove it before hard MX riding.

4. Kickstand (also Pro Moto Billet). Bolts to existing mounts. Tucks up high under the number plate. And probably adds a huge 1/4 pound to the bike's extremely light weight.

5. 3+ gallon tank (with reserve setting on petcock, which is not supplied with any tank I've seen). Any recommendations (I haven't ordered one yet)? I hate the shock of that obvious high idle, indicating that you're out of gas, when you're miles from the truck. A reserve petcock is worth its weight in gold, regardless of how large the tank is. Even during MX usage when less fuel is added, it's carried lower on the frame with the tanks I've seen.

You're done! It does everything except start with a button (but you shouldn't ever have to re-start it during a ride). A very fair trade-off to have huge controllable power, excellent handling, and the weight of yesteryear's 2-stroke, as long as the Rekluse maintenance isn't extreme.

A thousand dollars extra, and you have two top-notch bikes in one.

The yz 450 sucks in the tight stuff no low 1st gear if you gear it down then it go's about 40 mph. with crapy gear splits and flywheel is to light you will have to get a 8 to 10 oz.weight the clutch is very graby 02 clutch parts fix's that ? unplug tps.You will have to change all that stuff KTM has all the stuff for a good woods bike just a little heavy if you want to ride an orange bike :awww:

First of all, does anybody know if additional gaskets are needed for the side cover when installing a Rekluse clutch on a YZ450? Their tech support is a little (more than a little) slow. This bike is too much fun to start the installation before I know for sure that I will be able to ride it the next day without re-working things and hunting around for additional parts. Supposedly, some bikes need as much as 1/4" of additional gasket material (which apparently is not supplied). I'm still waiting (over a week later - for a reply from Rekluse). I've already received junk mail from them, but NO RESPONSE TO MY DAMNED QUESTION.

re: Rekluse:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with them, it must be a pretty busy day if they aren't answering their phones

:awww:

-In page 5 of the directions it says:

18. Re-install your clutch cover with the 3 included gaskets (stacked together). Hand-tighten

the clutch cover bolts, then torque to 6 to 8 foot/pounds in 2 steps.

Warning: All 3 gaskets must be used or considerable clutch damage will result.

(ie: buy the Rekluse/SFB clutch cover or deal with extra deck clearance)

-They reply to my emails with a quickness ? an added bonus is they have never hesitate to answer the phone if I call them about something more urgent then email requires.

-I've also never gotten junk mail from them of any type, only followups to issues with which I have addressed with them via phone or email already. You got virus scan on that pc?

..and I know I'm not unique in this situation. So before you come on blasting them, trying picking up the phone and/or use the search function, or consider using the resources that Rekluse provides to answer your questions.

Some other advice:

Don't overtorque the gaskets and try to keep them inline when checking spec. after you break in the clutch or else you'll need 3 more in short order.

Also, don't forget to order the clutch parts from the 02 either, trust me.

As for the other woods mods (and in response to the original post)

-8/10 oz. flywheel

-13/50 for me (x-ring chain, steel sprockets)

-z-start ?

-oversized tank so you don't get stranded

-'02 clutch mod (if an '03 YZ)

-'04 clutch routing (even if you get a z-start, this offers better adjustability, just remember if you are going to use the stock clutch again you need an 04 cable too, and different case bolts)

-Flatland Racing Radiator Guards/Skidplate (best I have ever used, and easy to clean the treebark out of?)

-GYT-r/Cycra pro bend AL bar type handguards w/triple clamp mounts

-gripper seat/griptape on frame or stomp grip

-properly sprung suspension (on the softer side) or a full revalve if you can.

- Quiet pipe (I use an FMF-q) in the hopes it will keep more riding areas open.

Thats about it, good luck?

OC768

Lots of good info. Thanks.

Was your flywheel weight added before or after the Rekluse? Do you see a benefit in having both?

glad I could help.

It was added after the Rekluse, and I definetely see a benefit in both. The Rekluse lets me get perfect engagement that I don't have to think about, the flywheel wt. puts that engagement to the ground seamlessly = what wet roots, nasty wet windfalls, rotting quagholes? :awww:

Honestly it sorta automates the nasty stuff and takes some challenge out of the whole affair, but it also takes time out of it as well. More ground, less time = more riding overall, right? ?

The only thing (scary) out of this (f. weight add-on) is that you gotta be hamfisted to break the rear out in turns now because it just sticks. It's awesome, but hard to get used to when you're used to using the throttle to steer in the faster stuff (when entering a turn with engine braking only). Though with the Rekluse you can haul into the tighter turns under power better, brake it loose and it's right there again.

I had a GYT 5oz on there when I first had the Rekluse, it still did its thing but just wasn't enough trac for the low speed stuff. Probably could have saved my clutch hand alot more grief had I made the swap sooner though?

FWIW I think if you are doing a mix of MX and (not incredibly slick) trails an 8/10oz. weight would probably be perfect, if more MX then trail work - 4/5oz. if more trail, 10/13oz. Thats just my rough weight scale from my various testing. hopefully it helps someone ?

I ride both ... biggest problem is the puny gas tank ... but you can zip tie big water bottles of gas behind your front number plate to your forks ...

I just bought the ty davis IMS gas tank ... we'll see how it works on the trails.

re: Rekluse:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with them, it must be a pretty busy day if they aren't answering their phones

A little clarification, now that I have a minute.

My only trouble was not having the time to call during the day. I found time for a 2-minute ‘after hours’ email. A week later, a little ‘spur of the moment’ rant (also after hours, when I had the time) was followed by an instant response the next day. The worldwide problem with email (not just at Rekluse) is that it’s very easy in the rush of the business day, for an email to become a low priority. The need to follow up is very common.

Rekluse telephone response IS instant, with direct access to someone who has the needed info.

When the Z-Start arrived, a problem was also met with instant response, and an overnight delivery. Very rare in today’s business world. ?

I used mine for track and trail. Had the 10oz flywheel, 50t rear sprocket, EZ pull clutch mod at the lever, and got the stock suspension working well in the woods. Stalling was not an issue. Power was smooth. CRD quiet exhaust(for sale). Also had a Scotts damper. The frickin bike worked! :devil:

Fact is, the bike will eventually wear you out ?. It took me longer to warm up on it. About 20 minutes before the arm pump would settle down. Then there was a 30 minute window where I felt like God on the thing. Then I was spent.

There was a big grin factor on faster tracks and trails! It just took alot of concentration and effort to keep things together on the tight stuff compared to other bikes I've owned.

KH