Anybody tried cutting down a seat foam?

11 replies to this topic
  • Derek_Burns

Posted May 31, 2001 - 02:22 PM

Hi,
Its seems most of you yanks are a bunch of lanky gits :)as you are always on about higher seat foams.... well I'm just a short arsed brit, and have trouble getting my feet on the ground.
Have any of you tried cutting the seat foam down ??

Del

• Bill

Posted May 31, 2001 - 02:33 PM

Derek,

I have heard of people cutting the foam down. They suggested using an electric sererated (sp?) carving knife.

You may also have a suspension tuner, lower your suspension or you can use a Kouba link. Norm is a great guy and will help you out.
www.koubalink.com

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• robman

Posted May 31, 2001 - 03:00 PM

I used a belt sander, It worked great, took off about an inch and 1/2.

------------------
00 wr400f fmf pipe ,uni-flow filter,no lid on breather,factory R&D accelerator pump cover, pro-taper bars with gpr stabilizer,acerbis pro rally hand guards.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 31, 2001 - 08:32 PM

Mike in Silicone Valley cut his seat down - not sure how he did it. I'm guessing Mike's the American version of you and it seems to work for him.

Brian

• Martin_S

Posted June 01, 2001 - 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Bill:
Derek,

I have heard of people cutting the foam down. They suggested using an electric sererated (sp?) carving knife.

You may also have a suspension tuner, lower your suspension or you can use a Kouba link. Norm is a great guy and will help you out.
www.koubalink.com

Bill

Bill,
I just contacted Norman at Kouba links and he claims that they don't make a link for the YZF or WR. They only carry a "T" handle fuel screw extension for our bikes. FYI

• Nige_Uk

Posted June 01, 2001 - 08:25 AM

I'm vertically challanged 5'6(short!) & have cut the foam down in my seat doing the following;
1. remove all cover staples along the sides & back etc, but don't remove the ones at the front which hold the 'nose' in place (this helps to relocate the cover)
2 Mark with a pen the amount of foam to remove
3. Using a grinder slowly work down to the line you marked, don't try & remove too much at once, you'll get large flat spots
4. Shape the foam using the grinder to remove any flat spots on the edge of the seat.
5.Get some heat into the cover, this softens it & makes it easier to stretch over the foam.
6.Use a staple gun to fix the cover onto plastic frame of the seat.

It may take 2 people to get the cover tight etc, but once done you can't tell, but you can touch the floor !!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2001 - 08:34 AM

Derek,
I am 5'8" and cut the seat foam. I thought it sucked. It changes the whole ergo of the cockpit. It will move you back a little and your bars will seem higher, making it haeder to get your chest over the bars when banging tight berms. You also end up ctting off the narrowest part of the seat, making the seat wider. I do not think it is worth it. Cost me 60 bucks to get a new foam.

How tall are you??

Been to america latley?? Amrericans are far from lanky. We are on our way, (if we aren't there now) to being the most out of shape people in the world. Gotta love McDonalds, BK, pizza and all the goodies people feed their fat kids. Our next generation is looking like a bunch of web surfing hippos. Ooops, sorry. Little out of line there. What happened to healthy meals? It was nice being down at Bill's and watching a family eat together. I grew up eating healthy meals as a family. America seems to be getting away from that. I only have 2 dogs, but they are good dogs and we eat together just different foods. They don't get scraps and fatening crap. Dog food and dog snacks. Healthy ones. They are in good shape and health. People need to do the same for their children. Feed them dog food, yup thats what I am saying. And I don't recomend cutting the seat foam.

Don't know where this all came from.....oh well. Good luck with the seat.

[This message has been edited by mike68 (edited 06-01-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2001 - 11:51 AM

No, I have never cut down a seat, but I have cut down a bunch of trees. Does that work? Shame on me, but I just felt like saying it.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted June 03, 2001 - 03:29 AM

Derek,
I cut down my seat foam with a fillet knife. This made a rough cut which needed some fine tuning. I took an extremely sharp hunting knife and dragged it across the foam until it was relatively smooth. I'm not sure this was the best method but it worked. I then took the foam and cover to an auto upholstery shop and had them steam the cover and staple it together. Total cost = $30.00. This small change has made my riding much more enjoyable.

Mike

P.S. Don't try this. My first attempt at lowering the foam was with a heat gun. This didn't produce the desired effect. What it did produce was Isocyanate gas (NO BUENO :) ). This gas, in large enough quantities , can end your riding career (and your heartbeat :D ). I should have known better and only got a quick whiff of it.

• Derek_Burns

Posted June 03, 2001 - 10:12 AM

thanks for the tips....
I was beginning to think I was the only short arsed rider here. 5'6" btw.
I may try and get another seat before doing the surgery, then I can quickly go back to square one if it doesn't feel right.
Lowering of my suspension has compromised my bikes ability to be ridden hard without bottoming out on the tail end.

cheers for the tips and tales :)

Del

• markerf

Posted June 04, 2001 - 07:04 PM

What kind of bike is it, a YZ or WR?

I have the sorter of the two seats and I am looking for a taler seat myself.

Originally posted by Derek Burns:
Hi,
Its seems most of you yanks are a bunch of lanky gits :)as you are always on about higher seat foams.... well I'm just a short arsed brit, and have trouble getting my feet on the ground.

Del

• markerf

Posted June 04, 2001 - 07:04 PM

What kind of bike is it, a YZ or WR?

I have the sorter of the two seats and I am looking for a taler seat myself.

Originally posted by Derek Burns:
Hi,

Del

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.