Poll: Transmission failure, happened to you?

33 replies to this topic
  • MrBlahh

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:11 PM

Wait a minute. 2 out of 20 that replied have failures and you're thinking that those aren't good

Yes, 10 % failure rate is not very good at all

• JVP

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:29 PM

This is not enough data to support your conclusion. :awww: Also, I can blow up and transmission pretty quick if I wanted to. :lol: By not having the right type of oil in the case. Not enough oil. How about going 60-70 mph in 5th and then jamming it down to 1st in one motion( or should I say in 4 quick motions) :lol: ;) :mad: :lol: :lol: Let's don't forget about abuse. I have heard enough times people claiming to have a defective piece of equipment but when it is all said and done a lot of it was due to abuse. Just an opinion. :thumbsup:

• MrBlahh

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:23 AM

Top ends should go before trannies, they share the same oil.

I dont buy the abuse, these are dirt bikes, if anybody here thinks they are going to be babied they are wrong, I beat on mine thats why I own it.

And I dont think people are going to go from 5th to 1st without destroying the top end first, ie over rev, M3 owners call this a "money shift" it's easy to go from 5th to 2nd, the syncros are so good you cant ell your doing it, then wham engine is toast, kiss 10k $ goodby

The purpose of the pole was to see how many were having failures, I would start another thread to argue about causes, or operator error/abuse issues.

• blireef

Posted June 13, 2004 - 07:53 AM

I guess the poll is over, 2 people have had transmission failures out of all the people on this forum.. :thumbsup: :awww: :lol:

• MrBlahh

Posted June 13, 2004 - 09:27 AM

I guess the poll is over, 2 people have had transmission failures out of all the people on this forum..

Try 6 out of 40

Seems people that have not had them fail, are VERY defensive about it.

That's even more of a turn off, failures and denial

• SMD

Posted June 13, 2004 - 10:34 AM

I am on my fourth WR and trannies have been bullet proof. But then there was that woodruff key thingy..... :thumbsup:

• Hamish

Posted June 13, 2004 - 12:25 PM

I am on my fourth WR and trannies have been bullet proof.

I believe it to be a time related failure. If you trade up to a new model every 1 or 2 years you will probably never have the problem and therefore be under the false impression that they are bulletproof. Take the 450 for example. They added a starter motor and a battery but the bike is the same weight(or maybe even lighter) than the 426.
How did they do this you ask? They reduced the oil capacity :awww: and made the rod lighter :thumbsup: along with other things. Failures are imminent when a manufacturer is prepared to sacrifice oil capacity and rod weight on an engine that already on the edge. My limited understanding of physics tells me that an engine with a longer stroke (the 450) would require a stronger rod due to the higher angles it operates at. Rod failures are starting to happen in the 450's, not on a regular basis, but they are happening (see YZ forum). Personally, I'd rather be doing gearboxes every few years than having rods break, which normally take cases, barrel, piston and heads out with them. All conroods have a 'service life' The hard part is making the right decision of when to change them.

my 2 cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yam314

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:17 AM

My 98 WR lost 3'rd gear. But this was after many years of hard riding. I don't consider it faulty though. It's not the first tranny i've destroyed. i just hope my 04 is as reliable.

• rushton99

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:59 AM

75-80 mph on the interstate yesterday in Utah snap! and a long skid no more tranny 2006 WR 450 I am hugely bummed prior tot hat, it was the best all around bike I've ever owned!!!

Anyone had this happen??? any idea of cost I'm at work and haven't had a chance to even open it up yet, I'm a little scared...

• dugabrams

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Welcome rushton. Sorry to hear about your tranny. I'm sure the collective brain on this forum will help you fix it, but try not to resurrect 4 year old posts.

• doctorchopper

Posted March 24, 2008 - 09:46 AM

I too have had a tranny failure on my 01 wr426, I would put it down to road riding especially with supermoto wheels and tires, these bikes are not designed to be riddin for long periods of time on the road ie no cush drives on rear sprocket, on dirt you will get tire spin so it unloads tranny. I agree with the other post that you cannot base any kind of trend failures on this data as no one has posted that they haven't had failures

• Strattos

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:00 AM

My two bobs worth, i reckon every bike has its little pickadilos. I just did fifth gear on my 02 WR426, which i traced to a slightly bent shift fork. Whether it was my riding or the bike (well over 10,000km) i'm still pretty happy with the run i've had. As mentioned its a bloody race engine. they're probably designed to be pulled down every year or so, so the fact that is the only drama i've had makes it a damn reliable bike given the performance it produces. Better than what I hear about CRFs and valves within 3 - 6 months on a brand new bike.

I'm upgrading this year after five years of WR bliss and I'm getting another one. No hesitation.

• MaxPower

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:27 PM

I too have had a tranny failure on my 01 wr426, I would put it down to road riding especially with supermoto wheels and tires, these bikes are not designed to be riddin for long periods of time on the road ie no cush drives on rear sprocket, on dirt you will get tire spin so it unloads tranny.

[COLOR="Green"]I bought a YFZ quad clutch basket that has dampening springs on the primary gear for my 04 WR. I have never seen it for myself, but I am told the older WR motors have them. That has to absorb some of the road shock
[/COLOR]

• rider_hunter

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:06 AM

my cousins wr 450 bent 4th gear shifting fork and wouldn't stay in gear and my 01 426 is at 52hp and I just recently started having rapid jerks in 5th gear and decided it was a shifting fork and took it down and it was I also have more hours on my bike than 90 % of people do I ride every day year round

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.