Poll: Transmission failure, happened to you?

33 replies to this topic
  • MrBlahh

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:07 AM

So how many have had transmission failures? I wasnt even aware this was an issue with the WR's, now it's got me worried.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1086862026MegaDeTH">

Trasmission failures
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />tranny failed
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />tranny has not failed
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />tranny has not failed, BUT, worried about it failing
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />transmission failures? What are you talking about?!?
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

• MrBlahh

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:11 AM

And here's what's got me worried

Hamish wrote..
Every YZ/WR owner should be worried about tranny failures. It's not a question of 'if', but 'when'. If you expect the gearbox to die, at least you wont be too disapointerd when it does.

• gearbox

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:43 AM

MegaDeth,
You guys need to give it a rest. This is an open forum and Hamish is just stating a thought. Let's show respect for each other here. Too many forums are jammed full of pissing matches. We all understand your point.
Let's go riding. :thumbsup:

• MrBlahh

Posted June 10, 2004 - 04:28 AM

I have no idea why you would post that

This is ment to be a valid poll

this is not an attack on anybody, I want to poll the comunity to see how often these are failing

should I switch back to red?

• The_Missile

Posted June 10, 2004 - 05:07 AM

I think his avatar name may have something to do with !! :thumbsup: :awww:

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 10, 2004 - 05:16 AM

And here's what's got me worried

Hamish wrote..
Every YZ/WR owner should be worried about tranny failures. It's not a question of 'if', but 'when'. If you expect the gearbox to die, at least you wont be too disapointerd when it does.

I think he's way overstating the problem. I'm sure there have been some random failures here and there as there have been with the CRF, however by and large, these bikes are extremely reliable and I don't believe this a systemic problem. My personal experience with three 4xx's and at least another half a dozen that friends own is that none of us has experienced any major failures. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 10, 2004 - 07:33 AM

Yamaha WR450 motor and tranny are extremely reliable! :thumbsup: End of Poll! :awww:

• ddialogue

Posted June 10, 2004 - 10:24 AM

transmission failures? What are you talking about?!? :thumbsup:

• Wrfrk

Posted June 10, 2004 - 10:38 AM

Before I bought my bike all I heard and read was great things about the WR's, they have a great reputation for being very solid in the long haul. I would really not give that concern another thought, just don't beat the crap out of it and do your maintanance and it should last.

• MrBlahh

Posted June 10, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Yikes, 2 people have posted thiers failed, not very good odds considering there have only been about 20 that responded

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 10, 2004 - 03:43 PM

I know if I would have bought a Honda or KTM the I'm sure the tranny would have failed by now!

• sabin

Posted June 10, 2004 - 06:15 PM

My trany failed after 10.000 miles 16.000km. If you change your bike every 1-2 years you will allmost never have this problem. You MAY have trany problem on powerful bikes after 3 year of age. It is not a defect! It is rader a consequence of the weight savings...I think :thumbsup:

• Beta_Man

Posted June 10, 2004 - 06:19 PM

I know of two 03 wr 450's that both took out fifth gear this year ice racing.

• Hamish

Posted June 10, 2004 - 10:04 PM

It is not a defect! It is rader a consequence of the weight savings...I think

I couldnt have put it better myself. People ride WR's and YZ's because of the power and agility. They are a race bike with lights! If you want something that will live forever with little component failures, buy an XR :thumbsup:

2 my cents worth...I'm sure I'm going 2 cap a roasting over this...but it's the way I feel.

• MrBlahh

Posted June 11, 2004 - 12:43 AM

Ugh, I'll never own a bike that's less than 4-5 years old, I've got a 98 WR400 now, I just cant afford/justify a new bike

• The_Missile

Posted June 11, 2004 - 01:27 AM

Megadeth....same here..... :thumbsup: :awww:

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 11, 2004 - 03:21 AM

I've had my 84 Yamaha TT600 since 1987. I swear that has been them most reliable bike on the planet. I have rid'n it 1000's and 1000's of miles here in the desert over a 15 year period and the engine/tranny never skipped a beat on me. It still runs strong even to this day. Yamaha really built a good engine/tranny in the TT's. In my opinion much more better than the XR's

It is not a defect! It is rader a consequence of the weight savings...I think

I couldnt have put it better myself. People ride WR's and YZ's because of the power and agility. They are a race bike with lights! If you want something that will live forever with little component failures, buy an XR :thumbsup:

2 my cents worth...I'm sure I'm going 2 cap a roasting over this...but it's the way I feel.

• darmino

Posted June 11, 2004 - 05:29 AM

My problem was the fifth wheel gear dog, the funny thing is that I hardly ever use fifth gear.But the fifth gear dog connnects to the third gear so maybe thats the problem.One other thing I noticed is that were the fifth gear dog ingauges the third gear it bottoms out and grinds like the spacer between gears in not thick enought( the bottom of the fifth gear dog has worn smooth), this does not accure anywhere else in the transmission between any other gears.Maybe a design flaw? All I know is that a lot of people have fifth gear dog problems without spending a lot of time in fifth gear. And my shift for is not bent so that is not the cause.

• jwriott

Posted June 11, 2004 - 05:55 AM

Ice racing and street riding should be a lot harder on the tranny. There is no give like the dirt. If you are riding in these conditions, a cush drive would probably extend the life a lot.

Weren't most of the tranny failures on the YZ's which is why they switched to the 4-speed?

• blireef

Posted June 11, 2004 - 06:13 AM

Wait a minute. 2 out of 20 that replied have failures and you're thinking that those aren't good odds???MAYBE the people that didn't have failures (the other 10,000) didn't have the problem so they didn't respond??? "There have been a couple of failures on ice racing bikes", the key word here is "racing" things break when you race, on any kind of machine. "You wouldn't have a bike newer than 4 or 5 years old" :lol: I understand the economics of this but all machines break, there is no exception from that fact, and it's even worse with a very powerful and light bike with lots of torque.. Just ride it and worry about the problems if they come up... Big Jim :thumbsup: :awww:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.