How do I set my forks?

10 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted June 25, 2002 - 02:37 PM

How do I set my forks? They were just revalved by procircut. I weigh around 180-185lbs. The forks are still bottoming out a bit. Could I just put 5mm of oil in my forks? will that help?

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 25, 2002 - 02:43 PM

I would add a couple clicks of compression to see if that helps first, since it that is a little easier.

• yznvegas

Posted June 25, 2002 - 02:44 PM

If they were just done by Pro Circuit than call them and have them help you dial it in.

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 25, 2002 - 02:55 PM

I have the compression as hard as it could get. Will adding oil help?

• YZ400Court

Posted June 25, 2002 - 03:20 PM

Really, call pro circuit. They will tell you what to do. You shouldn't be bottoming, and you shouldn't have the compression all the way in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted June 25, 2002 - 05:09 PM

Pavelkod,

All forks will bottom with enough force, but I'll have to assume what you are talking about is too far from the norm.

It's possible that during shipment that one or both of the forks lost their bleed - meaning that they sat upside down for so long that air has entered back into the cartridge.

You could remove the fork, then the springs, then work the compression rod up and down and perhaps check for resistance and/or bring them back to life.

Other than that, of course make sure your bleedscrews are in and tight, and that there is enough oil in each fork (assuming that they provided that).

I'm assuming of course that you have had this problem since you took delivery of the forks.

And yes, calling them is also a very good idea.

Let us know what you find.

DaveJ

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 25, 2002 - 05:43 PM

Thats weird. I wonder if they did put oil in them?

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2002 - 01:05 AM

Whell I put 5mm of 5wt fork oil in and then I was able to soften the compression and not bottom out!!! :)

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 26, 2002 - 03:43 AM

Shameless plug, read Fork Oil 101. But call ProCircuit.

Good luck,
mwc

• Ga426owner

Posted June 26, 2002 - 05:37 AM

Revalved by ProCircuit.......but revalved for what? Motocross, woodsriding, what about rider ability A, B, C level, rider weight etc... Also what oil level did they fill to? You really have several issues to ask them about....did they modify the existing valve stack or replace with Gold valves or what.....call Procircuit to get this info, you paid them I assume for the work, this is very important info that you should have & record.

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2002 - 02:09 PM

I put a new spark plug in and it stoped bottoming out :) :D :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.