How do I start a flooded XR ?

9 replies to this topic
  • JetPilot

Posted June 09, 2004 - 02:38 PM

You guys mention procedure on how to start a flooded XR. What is the procedure if I dump my XR600R and flood it :thumbsup: (Stock Carb)?

• qadsan

Posted June 09, 2004 - 02:48 PM

Here's some ideas to try :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...true#Post106727

• redrider650r

Posted June 09, 2004 - 02:49 PM

This usually works for my 650 and is what my buddy does with his 600. I got it from a post a while back.
1) Turn off the fuel at the petcock immediately after you've dumped it
2) Engage the compression release
3) Hold the throttle wide open
4) Push on kill switch
5) Kick through 6-10 times
6) Close the throttle
7) Turn on the fuel at the petcock
8) Grab the front brake lever (this helps to keep your hand off the throttle!)
9) Release kill switch
10) Kick through as above, but with a good smooth stroke.
11) If your bike didn't start, keep kicking with smooth strokes until it does

• moto9

Posted June 09, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Pull out the spark plug and kick through the stroke a few times to clean it out, install a fresh plug.

• ATCcrazy

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:08 PM

Naaaawwww....Just hold the throttle wide open and kick it over a couple times. Works like a charm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrianVT

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:38 PM

LMAO you guys. He's prolly sayin' "&%$#@! ?". :thumbsup:
Your all right, since each method has worked for me at one time or another. Though the 10-kick clean out usually works best for me. Maybe Honda will start putting pumpers on at the factory someday ?

• TimBrp

Posted June 10, 2004 - 01:13 AM

LMAO you guys. He's prolly sayin' "&%$#@! ?". :awww:
Your all right, since each method has worked for me at one time or another. Though the 10-kick clean out usually works best for me. Maybe Honda will start putting pumpers on at the factory someday ?

Was that a pig that just flew by my window?? :thumbsup:

• loufish

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:02 PM

All those ideas will work at some point in time....but what ever you do, turn off the fuel!...When I've laid it down, it's a mad scramble to get to the petcock. :thumbsup:

• JetPilot

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info, I have a real good idea of what to do know if I ever lay it down (or should I say when :thumbsup:)

• TimBrp

Posted June 11, 2004 - 01:24 AM

I hear yah, It's like get to the fuel switch, screw the exhaust burning my legs..."must turn gas off"..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.