Flip-Flop front sprocket???

8 replies to this topic
  • redrider77

Posted June 09, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Need some advice... I'm noticing that the teeth on the front sprocket are bent back a little bit, so I was wondering if there are any problems flip flopping it so that they wear in the other direction? Could this cause any problems? The rear sprocket looks fine, so I am wondering so that I might be able to get some more life out of them before I buy all new. Thanks.

• mtrablue

Posted June 09, 2004 - 01:25 PM

go ahead and replace it. if you turn it around you'll probably start breaking teeth off.

• RichBaker

Posted June 09, 2004 - 01:59 PM

Or worse.....don't be cheap, you prob'ly need a new chain and rear sprocket as well....

• redrider77

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:14 PM

The teeth on the rear sprocket all look fine, nice and strait, the chain seems ok, haven't ridden it enough to see if its stretching or not. I guess Ill leave well enough alone for now and shell out the $$$ for a set of sprockets and a chain when I get the elusive $$$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:26 PM

I have never heard of this being worth doing. I think there is no benifit. But I understand the reasoning. :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted June 09, 2004 - 06:58 PM

The chain and rear sprocket last twice the front as the front travels much more time that the back sprocket. Gen new front. It is cheep. When you wear the second front change all as a set.

• Hamish

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:43 AM

Just like Sabin said :thumbsup: I normally go through 2-3 front sprockets for a rear and a chain. I have flipped a front sprocket before without problems, but I knew that the chain was going to be replaced in the near future so wasnt worried about any adverse effects it may have. Sounds like a good excuse to experiment with some different gearing :awww:

• redrider77

Posted June 10, 2004 - 04:50 AM

I never thought of it that way, the front sprocket doing 2-3 times more travel, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

• The_Missile

Posted June 10, 2004 - 04:55 AM

just divide your rear sprocket by your front sprocket !! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.