i might have found solution to sound issue

8 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted June 24, 2002 - 04:58 PM

i repacked silencer today and i would estimate 5db lower than it usually is after being freshly packed.today when i was on my way to go buy packing i decided to try something a little different.i remembered one of mechanics from peninsula kawasaki used to pack my silencer with steel wool he said "it was his secret weapon".at the time i was only about 14 so that was good enough answer for me.so instead of going to cyclegear for packing i went to home depot and bought steelwool x00 the finest stuff they had.i then packed silencer same as i would with normal packing.when i fired bike up i couldnt believe how much quieter bike was.it also sounds different more of a hollow thump like old school thumper.bike runs same no power loss.the only thing is exhaust smells funny and smokes after i shut bike off like steelwool is smoldering.im just wondering how long steelwool will last compared to fiberglass packing.

• yznvegas

Posted June 24, 2002 - 05:07 PM

freestyle wrote: "the only thing is exhaust smells funny and smokes after i shut bike off like steelwool is smoldering.im just wondering how long steelwool will last compared to fiberglass packing."

Yznvegas: Well, based on the whole smoldering part, I don't think it is going to last all that long. :)

• freestyle111

Posted June 24, 2002 - 05:15 PM

it really only smoldered the first time i shut bike off.im going to do some riding after work tommorrow.i give update when i get home.

• YZ400Court

Posted June 24, 2002 - 05:16 PM

Stadard steel wool won't last long at all. You need stainless steel wool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Forrest_Thump

Posted June 24, 2002 - 05:37 PM

Yep, mine had SS wool in it stock. When I repacked it and replaced the SS wool, I used SS scouring pads (without the soap of course!) from wal-mart, and then wrapped that with external exhaust wrap, and wired it as tight as I could. Sounds stock and lasts a long time.

• freestyle111

Posted June 24, 2002 - 06:30 PM

this is stuff i usedPosted Image

• MAD_POTTER

Posted June 24, 2002 - 08:01 PM

That stuff burns.
If you don't believe me touch a piece of it to a 9 volt battery and see what happens.
You need the stainless steel wool.
KC

• freestyle111

Posted June 24, 2002 - 09:01 PM

im going to go get some ss steelwool tommorrow.this was only an experiment.does anyone use ss steelwool for packing?does it last as long as regular packing?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 25, 2002 - 01:30 AM

get a 400exc silencer and put it on your yamaha,then youll have the same power and a much much quieter bike. I know a few people that have done this,it really isnt that much work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.