starter trouble

5 replies to this topic
  • w_ahhh450

Posted June 08, 2004 - 11:50 PM

I have trouble starting my '03 wr450 sometimes , mostly on steep hills?
If it stalls and i pull the clutch lever in and push the go button it tries to start but doesn't turn over and if I go to kick the thing the kickstarter is rock solid?
But if I keep on pushin' the button it will finally wind over OK.
Any ideas, local Yamaha dealer doesn't want to know about it unless the starter totals it's self.With the amount of trouble the starters have had worldwide they should recall '03 wr450's and fix the problem.If I have to spend $500.00 fixing the problem myself I'll put it toward a new Husky or KTM.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 09, 2004 - 05:38 AM

Are you using your hot start? Everything sounds normal to me otherwise. Proper jetting will fix this issue. :thumbsup:

• gloft

Posted June 09, 2004 - 05:40 AM

Try it in neutral. If it turns over OK than you clutch needs adjusting :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Blue_One

Posted June 09, 2004 - 05:54 AM

I think it is the auto decomp.I have the same trouble sometimes and rocking the bike back and forth abit always solves it. I don't think it's a problem with the bike.I think sometimes the cam stops and the auto decomp mechanism can't do it's job. :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted June 09, 2004 - 06:52 AM

I think it is the auto decomp.I have the same trouble sometimes and rocking the bike back and forth abit always solves it. I don't think it's a problem with the bike.I think sometimes the cam stops and the auto decomp mechanism can't do it's job. :thumbsup:

I think I got the same problem with the autodeco once with my '04 wr450.

• w_ahhh450

Posted June 10, 2004 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the ideas.
Jetting seems OK but I'll try to rock it in gear next time.
Tried starting in neutral also and with hot start.
It only seems to do it if I'm stuck in an awkward spot on the side of a hill? e.g legs,arms everywhere and in a
panic.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.