Oversize brakes

5 replies to this topic
  • The_Blue_One

Posted June 24, 2002 - 02:09 PM

What is the benefit?Do they run cooler?It doesn't seem like you get more braking surface or am i wrong.Who has them and which rotor.Or if they are a waste what front rotors do you guys like.

• Bambislayer

Posted June 24, 2002 - 03:16 PM

If you skipped physics class, your brakes are like levers. The hub is the fulcrum. The farther out from the fulcrum/hub (i.e. increasing rotor diameter), the more leverage you have, which results in more stopping power, not to mention with a larger diameter rotor the swept area of the brake is more resulting in a greater pad to rotor surface area further increasing brake effectiveness. Unless you find yourself running too deep into corners trying to late brake everyone at your track don't waste your money.

Buy DP mx pads and run your line cr style with a braided line and let your friends drool over your newfound braking capabilities.

• DaveJ

Posted June 25, 2002 - 05:28 PM

Good advice.

And you also get a little more cooling since the heat is carried over a larger area. Good for motos that include long hard stops, like TT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 25, 2002 - 08:16 PM

Don't get them if you ride in a lot of sand. You will lock up the front wheel easier(not good).

• BK14MX

Posted June 27, 2002 - 02:45 AM

I have EBC's 280mm front rotor with a Moose SS line in front. One finger nose wheelies, no problem.. Mxrider makes good point though, it can be a handful in the loose stuff, but the extra power it provides out weighs the negative by 10 fold. I would consider the change one of the best ones you can make, dollar for dollar.

Its takes bigger brakes, to get more weight to stop.....

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: BK14MX ]

• vznx1w

Posted June 27, 2002 - 04:17 AM

I agree 100% with Bambislayer: the DP MX pads and SS brake line make a huge difference. I made these changes one at a time: the pads make the biggest difference and transform the marginal stock stopping power into 2-finger nose wheelies; the SS brake line provides a firmer level feel and better feedback/modulation of the brake.

For the tight tracks around Indiana (mostly 3rd gear) I can't imagine needing anything more. However, riders on high-speed/hard-braking tracks such as GPs, TTs or very fast MX tracks might need a bigger rotor to improve heat dissapation and reduce fade.

Steve :)

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.