Leaky oil line

1 reply to this topic
  • tyzfryan

Posted June 08, 2004 - 10:21 AM

I just changed oil and when I put the oil line back on (the one with the oil strainer attached) the fitting on the crankcase side leaks real bad now- I took it apart and cleaned it and made sure the oring did not fall out. I called 4 different dealers and no one has a new oring in stock, so I went to napa and found one that looks close, so I hope it works or I won;t be riding this weekend because of a stinking o-ring. Has anyone else had problems with this on there 03 yz450. I am glad I caught it because I lost a 1/4 of a quart in about 40 miles of trail riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Radbuster

Posted June 08, 2004 - 11:22 AM

I had the exact same thing recently. My problem was the attaching 8mm hex bolt was just slightly bent from some type of impact from below. The oil line and o-ring looked perfect, so I was really baffled for a while. I noticed the bolt was slightly bent when removing and putting it back since there was some added resistance at a certain part of the turn. I really didn't think it would do so much, specially since the line is softish aluminum and the bolt can be torqued pretty well making for a good seal. In despair I tried another bolt that was just a tad shorter and the problem disappeared. Phew! Hope this helps. Good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.