HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR VALVES ARE BENT

6 replies to this topic
  • Tman

Posted June 21, 2002 - 08:54 AM

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT KIND OF SYMPTOMS WOULD YOUR BIKE HAVE IF YOUR VALVES WERE BENT?

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 21, 2002 - 12:16 PM

The valves would probably be stuck. I wouldn't worry about it if they aren't. If they are, when you pushed the kick starter, you wouldn't have any compression.

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: mxrider426 ]

• YZ400Court

Posted June 21, 2002 - 07:01 PM

No compresssion and very big valve clearance between cam and bucket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 22, 2002 - 04:53 AM

Tman,

I don't think you're getting good advice here. Dinged valve faces are notoriously hard to find. The symptom, leaky valves, is easy, even which one with a solvent test in manual.

PM sickbird or SFO. They actually have experience with this. I think sickbird is a normal rider like the rest of us who is lucky enough to have great shop help and SFO works at or is somehow related to a machine shop that does head work. Not sure though.

Good luck,
mwc

• YZ400Court

Posted June 22, 2002 - 05:59 AM

Originally posted by Mark Cantrell:
Tman,

I don't think you're getting good advice here. Dinged valve faces are notoriously hard to find. The symptom, leaky valves, is easy, even which one with a solvent test in manual.

PM sickbird or SFO. They actually have experience with this. I think sickbird is a normal rider like the rest of us who is lucky enough to have great shop help and SFO works at or is somehow related to a machine shop that does head work. Not sure though.

Good luck,
mwc

Or you could wait till they read it and respond here so we can all learn something. Then maybe we won't give bad advice? any more.

:)

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 22, 2002 - 04:16 PM

YZ400Court,

I appologize. I said that far more strongly than I meant. I did not mean that either of you were wrong for badly bent valves. All I meant was that some contact with the piston is so light that it won't seal or pass the solvent leak test in the manual without giving the symptoms that you or mxrider426 mentioned. sickbird and SFO have experience with this minor contact type of problem.

Bend them more than very little and both of you are right. Again, I was way off base the way I said that and I'm sorry.

mwc

• Boit

Posted June 23, 2002 - 12:59 PM

My son washed his XR100 and put it in the garage not to be ridden again for about a month. When he went to start it, an exhaust valve had seized in the guide, the piston hit it and bent it. Just by kicking the engine over it was very easy to hear the "clicking" noise made when the piston made contact with the valve.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.