Off topic carb help

9 replies to this topic
  • seymourbutts

Posted June 23, 2002 - 05:43 PM

I know this may be off topic but, if anyone could help it would be great. My brother-in-law has a 1999 Suzuki RM 125 that needs a little help. The bike will not idle at all. You have to twist the throttle almost 1/4 to get it to idle. I was thinking maybe the needle jet needed to be moved to a higher slot. The throttle cable has some slack in it also and it is adjusted all the way out. I orded a new cable but do not belive that it is the problem. Otherwise the bike runs great. Are there any carb gurus that can help me. Sorry for the 2-smoke question but, I'm having no luck searching the web for answers. I have posted in other forums with no response.
Thanks

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 23, 2002 - 06:10 PM

Have you set the idle with the idle screw? Sometimes it is a screw sticking out of the carb or it can be that you twist the choke knob to adjust it. But 2 smokes really aren't supposed to idle. If you had jetting problems with the idle, it would be the pilot jet and air screw. Not the needle.

• seymourbutts

Posted June 23, 2002 - 06:49 PM

The idle screw is the choke knob and it has no effect on the bike at all. I set the air screw at 1 1/2 turns from bottom. Neither myself or my brother-in-law know much about carbs. Most of what I know has come from this group trying to learn about my yz400f. As far as trouble shooting we are both lost.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 23, 2002 - 07:33 PM

You said that you have to open the throttle 1/4 to idle. If you open the throttle all the way, can you hear the slide hitting the top of the carb?

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 24, 2002 - 01:21 AM

Before you spend too much time, dismantle and clean the carb. If the slow speed circuits are dirty then you're not going to get it to run right and you'll just end up going in circles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • seymourbutts

Posted June 24, 2002 - 06:49 AM

I've never noticed if the slide hits the top. I will listen today and see if it does. Looks like I'm going to take the carb apart and clean it.

Thanks for the help.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 24, 2002 - 10:51 AM

Sorry to say this, but it sounds to me like the crank seals are shot. Your first sign of this is failure to idle. My brother in laws RM never did idle. Not even when brand freakin new.

When revved does the idle hang for a bit then fall to nothing? If so, Id be lookin at the crank seals. Good luck.

• seymourbutts

Posted June 24, 2002 - 01:47 PM

When you rev it, it falls off fast and dies. Hope that is not the problem he just bought the bike. It was a good deal but, not if he has to split the cases. :)

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 24, 2002 - 07:54 PM

My friend had a crankshaft seal blow. His bike just blew out a lot of blue smoke. He was able to just remove the clutch and replace the seal.

• Boit

Posted June 25, 2002 - 08:47 PM

Consider installing new reeds.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.