CA dmv legal hassles (funny story)

4 replies to this topic

Posted June 21, 2002 - 06:54 AM

Anyone had any experience with something like this and can lend some legal advice for a friend in need? In all seriousness, he needs it. If nothing else, its a pretty funny story of a day riding gone waaaaay wrong...also a heads up not to use the wrong license plate on a bike in CA. The guy just bought a used YZ400 and has all the Baja Designs stuff on it to make it street legal but didn't quite get around to it...

i rode the yz400 with my XR400 plate up in mammoth
and got pulled over cuz the pigman thought i had
no mirror...then he was about to let me go then noticed i had no speedo and thought that was illegal and i told him no, so he looked it up then he called in the plate # and it was a honda so he thought i stole the bike so i got arrested ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!! I was the big bust for the day...
cuffed and bike impounded...the guy was calling all his friends bragging (sundays in Mammoth are pretty slow) ... then after 3 hours of BS i had to walk back to my campsite in the dark, really difficult, took 2 hours to get to camp only to realize a bear had gone thru all my stuff!!!

i took that as a sign that i was not wanted there so i packed all my crap and got outta dodge...left at midnight to drive to LA....

Now i just got my paperwork for the yz and can't street register it cuz i need a vin verification but the bike's in mammoth at the impound.. so to get it out i gotta register it here as a dirt bike and it'll screw me up cuz i gotta go to court on july 15th in mammoth for fraudulent use of state property (swapping license plates), which is a felony!!!!

got any suggestions on what i should do? my legal counsel is on a 6 month dual sport ride in europe now...

• yzrider

Posted June 21, 2002 - 08:53 AM

2 ideas:

1. Don't break the law.
2. Get a legal dual sport bike.

You guys kill me trying to street these closed course bikes. I just don't get it. Buy a dual sport.

I think it was Starsky and Hutch who said it best:
"If you can't do the time, don' do the crime"

Or maybe that was Shaft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto614

Posted June 21, 2002 - 11:45 AM

Try "Beretta" (Robert Blake should have taken his own advise)

Beretta was my mom's favorite show back in the '70's that how i know.Thanks now i can't get that stupid song out of my head!!

jeffro

• fastkevin

Posted June 21, 2002 - 11:54 AM

I actually had a street legal YZ400. It's not that hard..

• JT1

Posted June 21, 2002 - 01:08 PM

it's just hard to remember which license plate goes to which bike............ tell your friend to fight the arrest, this way the copper wil get lots of overtime to pay for his dirt bike.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.