valve adjustment

6 replies to this topic
  • silveradoss

Posted June 07, 2004 - 03:38 PM

How often should the valves be adjusted on a yz 450? :thumbsup:

• Anssi

Posted June 07, 2004 - 11:29 PM

When they are out of adjustment. Kidding aside, you should check them maybe 10-20 hours after break-in and then about every 30-40 hours or so. Mine haven't gone anywhere in the 65 hours I've put on mine.

• Rider_727

Posted June 08, 2004 - 07:10 AM

Mine have gone about the same. And in addition they are super easy to check if you have the gauges just go by the book. I have a friend who rides enduros, motocross everything, but he rides six days out of the week. Just a guess but he probably has 200 hours on his and valves are still in spec from the factory. He uses lead additive, it is suppose to cusion the valves seats and reduce wear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • offroad

Posted June 08, 2004 - 12:08 PM

I am curious what it sounds like when your valves need adjusting because my 426 started making a funky noise lately... its a stokely sound, like changgg, changgg, changg.. and now it back-fires when I let off quickly from WFO.. Any idea ?

- Jason

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 08, 2004 - 02:10 PM

Most often the valve clearances get tighter, so there is no noise to be heard. If you've noticed a new noise it's most likely not due to excess valve clearance.

• Anssi

Posted June 08, 2004 - 05:12 PM

I am curious what it sounds like when your valves need adjusting because my 426 started making a funky noise lately... its a stokely sound, like changgg, changgg, changg.. and now it back-fires when I let off quickly from WFO..

Back-fires "bang" or pops "popopop"? Anyways, sounds more like you're running lean. If the temps you ride in haven't dropped lately, I would check for air leaks.

• twistngrip

Posted June 08, 2004 - 10:39 PM

I checked mine after about the first 25 hours and one intake valve was too tight and had to be reshimmed. I just checked them again after 9 months of riding and they are all in exactly the same place they were after I replaced the shim.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.