426 jetting

8 replies to this topic
  • MountainManic

Posted June 07, 2004 - 12:33 PM

My 426 is fouling plugs as often as twice to five times a month, usually just after sitting for a week till I can ride on the weekend. I have the full system fmf Ti 4 exhaust and an external air/fuel adjustment screw and no matter how I adjust it, it still fowls plugs and its getting old. Should I get it rejetted? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

• roktoy

Posted June 07, 2004 - 01:01 PM

Can't get you pic link to work.....

• Fastest1

Posted June 07, 2004 - 05:02 PM

First of all always turn the fuel off at the end of a ride and let it burn up the fuel til it dies. I would suspect a high float level since it seems to do it after sitting. Maybe too big of a pilot also. :thumbsup:

• ltrosson

Posted June 08, 2004 - 09:36 AM

You may think this is stupid. My 426 fouled plugs everytime I rode it. I changed air filters ( twin air ) and it not not foul another plug until I put the stock filter back on, I did that because it was clean and it was race time. AS soon as I tried to start it, it fouled the plug. The stock filter is in the trash and no more problems. I was told it had to do with air flow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted June 08, 2004 - 11:34 AM

How long does the bike normally run with the fuel turned off? Mine seems to go on forever.

• MountainManic

Posted June 08, 2004 - 02:20 PM

fix pic link, thanks for letting me know!

• Fastest1

Posted June 08, 2004 - 03:15 PM

1 minute or so, maybe a little longer.

• Razman27

Posted June 09, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I had the same problem for a long time and would foul plugs non-stop. I read all the posts about air filters etc. They all had some positive effect, but non like what I finally did last. I took a few hours aside from riding to remove the carb to do a complete cleaning. If you've never done this, read a few posts about it and you'll be a master. I put it all back togther with the stock settings and jettings. Then I implemented a storage procedure I came accross on an old post a long time ago. It is as follows. When I come off the track or finish trail riding, I turn the gas off on my way back to the pits. I take a few turns in the pits and goose it a few times to get the gas burned out. If it is still running, I just let it idle there until it stalls. Then I push on the kick starter until it wont move anymore. It is the point where on my 01 426 you'd have to hit the decompression lever. What this does I guess is keeps it at top dead center and prevents fuel from migrating into the engine compartment. I swear on my mother's life, I did this a year and a half ago and have not changed a plug since. I was so frustrated because I would have to change a plug before every ride.

I hope this helps, but one negative result of this fix is - I don't clean my air filter after every ride like I used to. Shame!!!! - Shame!!!!

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 09, 2004 - 05:05 PM

Check your AC pump timing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.