hard to move kickstarter, lil help?

4 replies to this topic
  • thumper4life

Posted June 20, 2002 - 09:30 PM

when moving my kickstarter out, it is REALLY hard to move out, you gotta force it out there. and also when putting it back, you have to use some extreme force to get it back. our other 426 comes out just nice and smooth and goes back in fine, im thinking it needs some grease/lube right??? well can someone give me some insight on how to lube the kickstarter please?

• yzboy

Posted June 20, 2002 - 09:54 PM

My bike does the samething! Just spray some W-D 40 on the bottom and it will be good to go. I have to spray mine about every two weeks. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Littlefoot

Posted June 20, 2002 - 10:35 AM

I just fixed this last night. There is rubber o-ring between the kick start lever and the splined part that goes on the kick start shaft. When lubed it was better but then I noticed the o-ring was broke. Went to plumbing section in the local hardware store and got an o-ring for $.28. Took it apart cleaned and grease everything with Marine waterproof grease, replaced o-ring. Works nice now. I wonder what Yamaha charges for that o-ring

• SMP

Posted June 20, 2002 - 10:52 AM

There is a large screw you will need to remove then you will be able to pull of the kick starter from the shaft, then remove the ball bearing and spring and oring. Clean everything and regrease and reassemble.

No need to remove the bolt that holds the shaft to the engine...nothing to maintain there.

Worked for my bike.

• thumper4life

Posted June 20, 2002 - 11:35 AM

hahahaha! called my buddies at the local yamaha dealer......$3.71 :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.