Oil Leaking onto header pipe

11 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted June 07, 2004 - 04:19 AM

I thought I had a rad leak but it turns out it is oil. It is coming from the cylinder as per the picture [image]http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=81457[/image]. Oil is coming out of here. Being blown through the rad and dripping on the header pipe. Then the oil burns and smokes like crazy. Any ideas what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

• BoffoRider

Posted June 07, 2004 - 02:45 PM

C'mon gentleman.

Someone's got to have some ideas. Don't leave a brother hanging. I'm getting smoked out here.

• BoffoRider

Posted June 09, 2004 - 06:22 AM

Bumpin it back up. Any ideas on what is going on?

• KILLERCUDA_83

Posted June 09, 2004 - 08:27 AM

You say its leaking oil from the cylinder onto the header pipe? If so have u check the plug right above ur header pipe on the cylinder to see if it has blown out? Then if thats not the case then maybe gasketleak? Or bolts not tightened down maybe vibration caused them to loosen up.

• Anssi

Posted June 09, 2004 - 09:41 AM

You say its leaking oil from the cylinder onto the header pipe? If so have u check the plug right above ur header pipe on the cylinder to see if it has blown out?

Looking at the picture, this has to be it. It's on the head, btw, not the cylinder.

It's the plug covering the manual decompression mechanism where the lever would go in. Yamaha part number 90338-18064-00, will cost you about 2 bucks.

• BoffoRider

Posted June 09, 2004 - 11:10 AM

I've got one on order. Thanks for the reply's. Could I have done any damage with the plug missing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gizabious

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:26 AM

common problem, i know a few guys who lock wire the plug in. :thumbsup:

• Anssi

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:51 AM

Could I have done any damage with the plug missing?

Not likely. I guess you could lose enough oil to do some damage or take in some crap through the hole but that's stretching it.

• x2stroker

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:28 AM

I'm blowing oil onto my header as well. I've had the radiators tested as well. I was at the dealer today and they thought that Yamaha recently broadcasted a notice addressing it.... but he couldn't find it.

Has the $2.00 part corrected the problem for you?

• Fastest1

Posted August 23, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Iyou are running the auto decompression cam, buy the aluminum plug made here by a TT member. It comes with the seal and uses the bolt to hold it in, whereas Yamaha's solution is press fit and will blow out with crankcase pressure. If you are running the compression release forget all I said.

• x2stroker

Posted August 24, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Thanks. I ride an 03 YZ450F. It doesn't have the decompression lever. I purchased the stock plug last night and put it in. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. But, it doesn't fit very snug... just slipped right in. Who sells the aluminum plug? I'd like to buy one for a back-up.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 24, 2004 - 11:11 AM

TT store.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.