Frame drain plug on YZ 450 ?

I am pretty shure that the 450 is still dry sump. If it was wet sump, then they would brag about it, but all they said was "reduced oil capacity". I didn't think that yamaha would make the 450 wet sump since it didn't recomend wet sumping the 426.

I thought I had read they quit storing the oil in the frame and increased the crankcase capacity. But still not up to the original total capacity. Still dry sump. They say alot to get us to buy their equipment (it is their job). Do you think dry sumping is for improved control of lubrication or performance? Though without lubrication increased performance wont be the result LOL. They talk out of both sides of their mouth about performance issues because R1s & R6s have wet sump motors. Just a thought. Hard landings though I am sure cause momentary lubrication problems. ?

True about the R1's motor being dry sump but Ive also read not to get too good at wheelies because of oil starvation, dont know if that would affect a dirt bike though, but then again my R1 holds about 3 1/2 quarts of oil in the motor.

Norman

99 R1

01 YZ426

Norman your R1 has a wet sump engine as all streetbikes do. The oil starvation happens because of where the oil pickup is located in the sump and it would not happen if it were dry sump due to the constant pressure of oil entering the top end. just some info for you.

I talked to the owner the dealership where I am getting my 450 that went to the Dealer show. He said they still have some oil in the frame and that is the fill plug. He said most of it is in the engine though.

If you press the technical information button, and then the picture of the engine. Then scroll down to to the bottom of the page. You will find engine info:

Type Liquid cooled, 4-stroke,single cylinder, DOHC 5 valves

Displacement 449 cm3

Bore and Stroke 95.0 x 63.4 mm

Compression ratio 12.5:1

Max. Power N.A.

Max. Torque N.A.

Lubrication Dry sump

Fuel supply Carburettor (FCR39H)

Clutch type Wet, multiple disc

Ignition C.D.I.

Starting system Kick

Transmission Constant mesh, 4 speed