dual sport gearing yz426

3 replies to this topic
  • moto614

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:00 AM

Any one else out there wacko like me that is dual sporting their yz400/426?? any tips on gearing??I am trying 15/46 now,seems ok,i know with the yz trans anything i do will be a compromise.any thoughts? (i know,before anyone says it's a mx bike,you shoulda bought the wr but, i gotta make due.)

• MANIAC998

Posted June 19, 2002 - 02:37 PM

You can put the 5th gear from the WR right into the YZ if that is what your looking for. It definately does help lowering the rpm's or for that matter, increasing the top speed drastically. I like mine. I get to keep the first four gears for MX, and I have one HYPERSPEED!!! Maniac :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 19, 2002 - 02:58 PM

I just got back from a long dual sport ride today on my bike (WR trans) and when I was riding I was wondering if anyone made a replacement 5th gear set with more overdrive?

• moto614

Posted June 19, 2002 - 04:05 PM

thanks for the replies i've often thought about the WR's 5th gear and leave the rest alone.
Maniac998 is there a noticable gap between the YZ 4th and the WR 5th?? if not this could be my winter project :) :D what all did you need to buy to do this?(trans gears ect..)and with this setup what gearing are you running??
till then i'll just make do with the final gearing i have,i run the 15/46 when i plan to dual sport and switch to a 13tooth c/s sprocket for off road,this gives me very close to stock gearing(13/46 vs stock 14/49)and still use same chain.

thanks again

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.