Dont buy FOX!

71 replies to this topic
  • needsprayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:28 AM

Just for the record. I have not been pursuaded to stop buying FOX equipment.

I like what I have. All of my FOX equipment fits well, has held up nicely and looks great.
Best of all it is reasonably priced. I don't purchase the most expensive gear I can find, I go for functionality at a good price.

Same with the mods on my bike, no high price showy items, it's maintenance first and performance related items second.

YMMV

• CAL

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:48 AM

Originally posted by needsprayer:
Just for the record. I have not been pursuaded to stop buying FOX equipment.

I like what I have. All of my FOX equipment fits well, has held up nicely and looks great.
Best of all it is reasonably priced

My thoughts exactly.
I love my Fox Forma boots, Airframe chest protector, and Ventilator knee guards.

• Mook

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:53 AM

Hey,

Sorry bout the helmet! Sucks, but you will probably lose this battle.

I stopped buying FOX for other reasons before your post. Mostly because of price not quality, never actually had a problem with quality. Just found that I can get quality from other sources for less money.

MORE IMPORTANTLY:
What is you secret for the awesome grass in your yard that you can see from the picture? Man, I have tried for years to get a plush green yard and no success. Any Hints?

mook

• Bambislayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:09 AM

The statment made by CAL about dropping a helmet on the ground from 3-4 feet and it being useless is completely false. If your head was in it then yes, but if your head was in it you have bigger problems already. The foam will not deform or suffer any impact from simply dropping it on the ground from a few feet...helmets are not that fragile and should not crack as this one has from something so minor.

Almost every big name racer, because of superstition, tosses his helmet on the ground when it is brand new to let it find the dirt by itself so it won't have to when he is racing. Troy Lee knows of this, MC, and Fonseco all do it. It is an industry wide accepted way to get good mojo. The question I would have for FOX is when RC does it does his helmet crack or is it really a VFX-R with Fox heads on it? A while back a well known racer was sponsored by one helmet company but chose to wear another instead and they simply transferred the logos so he could meet his contract.

To all of those who are skeptical, this is a real deal. I think in fact that there was a thread on here the other day on a different forum about this very thing.

Bottom Line- I have always thought helmets should take more abuse than this and I will never buy a cheap helmet. Now I must add FOX to that list.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:20 AM

Sorry about your helmet, that sucks to shell out that much money then have to throw it away. I bought an HJC, last years model for 140 bucks, and I think it is a great helmet. It took a big impact when another bike hit me as I was crashing. I personally don't buy Fox or Thor either. I don't like how they are over publicized and everyone around here has one of those stupid huge FOX stickers on their trucks. I have also never been impressed with their products. I would rather buy a better product for the same price since fox is over-priced.

• Yak

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:24 AM

Im no expert on grass either. The yard was already establsihed when I bought the place. All I know is I try to fertilize at least twice a year and water regularly, also dont cut more than 1/3 the lenght of the grass when mowing. The basics.

As for where this post is going. The main purpose was to expose what I believe to be a poor quality product to the public so you would not make the same mistake. Not a plea for sympathy. Im glad however that some have seen it my way while others havent, thats what make the world go round.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:32 AM

Well, I really like Fox gear. I have owned all the brands & Fox pants & jerseys last longer than any other brand in my experience. The Gloves are so/so , they do not last long, but I am hell on gloves. I would never own any helmet except a shoei or Arai, because they are the best & my head is worth 400-500 bucks worth of protection. I would write the ceo of fox to try to get either a credit or replacement for this obvious defect.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Yak:
Less than 2 months old - 3rd Ride- NO real crashes, only slides like EGOs Bail. Fox refusing to warrantee. $350 down the drain. You be the judge.

VIEW #1 - Picture

VIEW #2 - Picture

Notice the Pristine condition otherwise. These things dont just happen on a brand new helmet.

Thanks Fox! (All sarcasm intended). Anyone seen my can of vasoline??
----------------------
This is not a slam to the owners of this helmet, I loved it while it lasted, the fit was awesome but I doubt Ill ever buy a fox product again

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Yak ]

When you open this thread, there is a link toward the upper left hand corner that allows you to email the thread to someone. Email this thread to Fox! I know that the manufacturers read our forums and I can't imagine that this won't put some pressure on them to respond. Remember, there are over 10,000 TT'ers out there(and growing). We are not just a hobby site any longer... I looked at your photos and I'd really like to know how this turns out. Other than the crack, the helmet looks perfect. I head-planted my HJC into a tree with zero damage! I didn't pay anywhere near $350.00.

Good Luck!

Bryan

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bryan Bosch ]

• FASTFRANK

Posted June 20, 2002 - 06:31 AM

Well I just read through this long post, and I have a few opinions also:
I myself have always liked fox gear, it has definitley gone mainstream and is more now than just riding gear. I don't like the way the helmet looks but if Helmet companies replaced every helmet that broke they all would be bankrupt. I had a $100 dollar KBC that I went head first into a 4-wheeler at 30mph right into the steel bumper. I did not crack that helmet when that happened believe it or not. I got a concussion and did not know who I was for 30 mins. I now have a $100 dollar BELL MOTO 6 sl that I wear that is great. I don't believe in the big money for helmets. If I took a crash of that great in that 100 dollar helmet and am OK then that answers my question about spending all that money. But after all this debate between everyone I agree with a few of you that the helmet is made to take a crash and protect your head. If it breaks then it was a bad enough crash to protect you but in return the helmet is no longer any good. Not saying that is was not a defect but I just think from what it looks like you are still alive with no head damage and your helmet is toast. Get another one and move on, Good luck with Fox, I would go as far as to e-mail this post to them, but it would be interesting to see if they did anything about it. Frank

• seymourbutts

Posted June 20, 2002 - 07:50 AM

Why don't you cut out the liner and post pictures of the foam?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAL

Posted June 20, 2002 - 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
The statment made by CAL about dropping a helmet on the ground from 3-4 feet and it being useless is completely false.

Think I'm wrong? Drop your helmet from 4 feet onto a concrete surface. Then send your helmet to Snell, and see if they determine that the foam hasn't deformed and approve it. Then tell me if I'm wrong.

• Bambislayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 08:22 AM

If this is so dangerous which it would be if the foam deformed, then why do all the pros do it religiously when getting a new lid? What does Snell have to say about that?

• thumper4life

Posted June 20, 2002 - 08:30 AM

because there givin the helmet its first "scratch" like if you buy a new vehicle or something, youre all paranoid about that first scratch/dent etc. some people will even scratch their vehicle themselves so they will get it out of their head
i believe that may be what the pros are doing, giving the helmet its first scratch

all though i could just be making a total ar$e of myself :)

• Bambislayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 10:32 AM

that is correct, but they are throwing it to the ground to do it. does not sound safe to me, but the helmet manufacturers do not seem to worry except maybe FOX

• SMP

Posted June 20, 2002 - 10:57 AM

I have heard that you should replace your helmet every 1-2 years, even if it has never taken a major impact. The normal use will compact the foam over time and make it less impact resistant.

I have noticed my favorite helmet has seemed to have gotten looser over the past 2 years and I know my head is not shrinking!!

• mikeolichney

Posted June 20, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Originally posted by CAL:

Think I'm wrong? Drop your helmet from 4 feet onto a concrete surface. Then send your helmet to Snell, and see if they determine that the foam hasn't deformed and approve it. Then tell me if I'm wrong.

Sorry Cal, but Bambislayer is right. If you get damage from dropping an empty helmet from 3 ft onto a concrete floor, there is a serious problem with that helmet. The foam is there to act like an airbag for your head. It compresses as the shell hits the ground/object, reducing the acceleration on your noggin. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Since F=ma, with lower a, your head of mass m gets less force. The human brain can safely take decelerations of 400g (thats 400x the pull of gravity). Between 400g and 700g causes concussion, you are generally KOed. Over 700g is permanent damage.

The foam is one-time suspension for your head. The suspension travel is probably less than an inch. This is one suspension you do not want to bottom! Using physics, its not tough to figure out how fast your head has to hit a brick wall to exceed 700g with one inch of deceleration distance. I'll run the numbers if you like.

A 3ft drop onto a floor with nothing in the helmet is not even going to faze the foam. There is little force applied to the foam if empty. What you are suggesting is like dropping your shock spring on the ground by itself and expecting it to fully compress.

There is little benefit to having the shell crack on impact. Contrary to popular belief, the cracking shell is not going to appreciably contribute to the rate at which your head decelerates. If the shell isnt strong enough to keep the foam together, its too thin or poorly designed/manufactured. IMO, it looks like the Fox helmet has a manufacturing or design defect.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: mikeolichney ]

• DethWshBkr

Posted June 20, 2002 - 12:33 PM

I can't say I think you will get anything out of the deal, and if what you state is accurate, then absolutely, I think you got a bit of a shaftin'.

Unfortunately, yeah, they cannot replace anything and everything they get back claiming to be non crash related.

It definitely doesn't give me much of an incentive to buy a FOX helmet though, not that I would anyway. Like I said, I bought a 2002 HJC CLX-4 Fuel, for 140 dollars, and it works just fine! Any helmet that is SNELL/ANSI, and DOT approved, in my opinion, is enough. I have seen cheaper helmets that are DOT approved, but not Snell or ANSI. I will never own one of them.
Paying more than $200 for a helmet is nothing more than paying for the name.

• freestyle111

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:47 PM

i was at cyclegear in san jose,CA. today and there was a brand new fox helmet sitting on the shelf with the upper back rightside vent missing and about a 1\2 crack starting at the vents rivet hole and going down towards bottom rear of helmet.YAK if you decide to call fox a tell them your helmet isnt the only one.they can check it was a Blue\white\silver SZ.med. $259 i put it up on top shelf as far out of reach as i could get it,that way none of employees would take it off shelf or send it back.hope this helps

• fastkevin

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:12 PM

Originally posted by freestyle111:
i was at cyclegear in san jose,CA. today and there was a brand new fox helmet sitting on the shelf with the upper back rightside vent missing and about a 1\2 crack starting at the vents rivet hole and going down towards bottom rear of helmet.YAK if you decide to call fox a tell them your helmet isnt the only one.they can check it was a Blue\white\silver SZ.med. $259 i put it up on top shelf as far out of reach as i could get it,that way none of employees would take it off shelf or send it back.hope this helps

By all means, don't tell the manager. It'll be real funny if what you say is true, and some poor sucker actually get's stuck with that thing :)
S-A-R-C-A-S-M

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

• grashoper250

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:15 PM

Ouch!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.