Dont buy FOX!

71 replies to this topic
  • Yak

Posted June 19, 2002 - 10:49 AM

Less than 2 months old - 3rd Ride- NO real crashes, only slides like EGOs Bail. Fox refusing to warrantee. $350 down the drain. You be the judge.

VIEW #1 - Picture

VIEW #2 - Picture

Notice the Pristine condition otherwise. These things dont just happen on a brand new helmet.

Thanks Fox! (All sarcasm intended). Anyone seen my can of vasoline??
----------------------
This is not a slam to the owners of this helmet, I loved it while it lasted, the fit was awesome but I doubt Ill ever buy a fox product again

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Yak ]

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:06 AM

very nice helmet, but sorry to hear that...

go to better bussines breau, may be they will help u.

• Bambislayer

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:06 AM

I don't, I get it for free.

Seriously though, that sucks. I agree about the better business bureau or better yet you could talk the institute for highway safety and say that the DOT mandated safety tests on this helmet might be flawed and create a bunch of red tape for FOX to deal with and they would wished they had just given you a helmet.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:21 AM

i agree with bambislayer. I personally have never had problems with fox and i swear by their products, but if you have a problem with them, the better business bureau or the highway safety administration is the way to go.

• Hick

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:24 AM

The link didn't work for me...

But I have a question:

Did Fox actually make the helmet in question?

Aren't we talking about a broken helmet here? That is scary...

• Yak

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:32 AM

Sorry guys, Geocities stinks for hosting images. Does anyone know of a free web host that doesnt have a bandwidth limit or want to host these images for a few?

• DPW

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:35 AM

Yak,

Email me the pics and I'll put them up tonight if you want.

dezdog@attbi.com

• moto_madman

Posted June 19, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Fox sucks. They have a crappy product that they dont stand behind and even worse is all the bmxers and wanabees can get it at any BOB's store.

• DethWshBkr

Posted June 19, 2002 - 01:58 PM

Hmm.
Fox helmets are made in Korea I believe, by the same company that makes HJC probably. I am not certain, so don't quote me, but I am sure the Korea part is accurate.

Doesn't really look like crash damage to me! Hmm again....

Recall however, as Carmichael rides with FOX helmets...in Anaheim I, his helmet was cracked pretty badly when he crashed.....perhaps it's NOT a warranty issue, it's just that the helmet is made to take ANY impacts absolutely, and it gives easily. Can't say I'd ever buy a Fox helmet anyway. WAY overpriced.....The HCJ CLX-4 Fuel is only $140.00, and is SNELL and DOT approved, and has taken many a hits from me, only scuffing of the paint (or decals). Made in Korea as well....

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: DethWshBkr ]

• Bambislayer

Posted June 19, 2002 - 02:08 PM

If his crash is indeed as innocent as Ego's Bail and that happened and you think it is ok as it is an absolute then you should think again. Helmets are not designed to crack on the outside from something so insignificant. I have a VFX-2 which costs more than a Fox helmet and I am sure you would say it is overpriced too but my head is worth more to me than $140. I have crashed very hard in it once even having my head hit a rock as the first point of contact with the ground after flying through the air and it just scratched it. as I said earlier, there may indeed be something wrong with the way this helmet passed those tests because it is not supposed to do that. there is a reason most pros use the shoei!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hootna

Posted June 19, 2002 - 02:41 PM

I assume the helmet was for your kid as no adult would spend that kind of money on a helmet unless they were buying an Arai or Shoei.

FOX riding gear is high quality stuff but when it comes to boots and helmets you need to go with ARAI, SHOEI, Alpinestar, Sidi !!!

A helmet is made to absorb impacts, that helmet had one heck of an impact to cause that kind of damage.

• Yak

Posted June 19, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Hoonta,

you are wrong to assume this helmet had one heck of an impact to cause that damage. You can see by the other pic, this helmet is flawless. Fact is, this helmet is overpriced garbage. The design is seriously flawed. The rear vent takes away too much strenght, and quite possibly this helmet had a badly cut vent or a bad cast. This helmet is too thin, not even 1/16 thick. Personally, I think Fox pulled a few strings getting it by the DOT and Snell regulations.

Lets face it, this helmet is attractive, the padding material and closures are top notch, the shell is just garbage. When I called FOX they just arbitrarily claimed "crash damage" without considering that perhaps they made a ****ty product. They seem to think their helmets are disposable, to absorb all impact. I say bull****, helmets are not disposable, especially not one that costs $350. If helmets were truly one time usage the market would not allow the high price.

I was wrong to trust in FOX, and never will again. But dont jump to conclusions with knowing the whole story.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 19, 2002 - 04:13 PM

Hey, don't say Fox makes crappy products, because the helmet is made by KBC in Korea. It says that in the issue of MXA that has Dubach's bike in it(May). Don't buy a helmet from KBC or Fox, but Fox's other gear is made themselves so it's probably ok.

There is something funny a bout a helmet cracking so easily. Maybe a defect or something?

Just be glad You didn't get in a big crash with it, because it probably would have broken in half.

• fastkevin

Posted June 19, 2002 - 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Yak:
Hoonta,

you are wrong to assume this helmet had one heck of an impact to cause that damage. You can see by the other pic, this helmet is flawless. Fact is, this helmet is overpriced garbage. The design is seriously flawed. The rear vent takes away too much strenght, and quite possibly this helmet had a badly cut vent or a bad cast. This helmet is too thin, not even 1/16 thick. Personally, I think Fox pulled a few strings getting it by the DOT and Snell regulations.

not one that costs $350. If helmets were truly one time usage the market would not allow the high price.

You wanna bet? I have several hemlets that have been destroyed by crashes, but saved my head in the process. THAT IS THEIR ONLY PURPOSE.
I'm willing to bet that the foam behind the crack is dented (you can tell because it's painted black over white for the purpose of inspection), WHICH WOULD MEAN THE FOAM ABSORBED THE IMPACT OF YOUR HEAD. You need to eduate yourself on the subject, and then go back and edit your post. As far as your crack about the DOT and the Snell Memorial Foundation allowing Fox to "pull strings" to get their seals.. The DOT is a joke, go look at a "nut cracker" and you'll see how easy it is to get DOT certified. The Snell Foundation is entirely different however. As a person that's had his life saved on several occasions due to the efforts of the Snell Foundation, I can say without a doubt that your statement concerning them is one based on ignorance, and makes you look like a complete Moron. Research "Snell" and edit your post again

• Yak

Posted June 19, 2002 - 04:50 PM

Quote--

"There is something funny a bout a helmet cracking so easily. Maybe a defect or something?"

Im glad that some body sees this as strange. According to Fox its my fault entirely.

I even asked them about a crash replacement for discount or cost, their attitude was "too bad". What could that possible mean to fox to replace it, NOTHING. What does it mean to me, EVERYTHING, since I dont have money to blow on another helmet. Nice to know I have great companies like Fox looking out for the dummy that buys thier high dollar gear. "Valued Customer" I am.

• Yak

Posted June 19, 2002 - 05:02 PM

"You need to eduate yourself" - OK will do, thanks for the advice.

The Authority on helmet safety has spoken. Case closed. ex-Snell employee?

I love the low blows people try to take for no purpose but to make them feel good. God forbid I ever run into you, you sound tough. Just like I sound like a moron.

Anyway, let's not turn this honest post into a stupid flame war huh?

• Bambislayer

Posted June 19, 2002 - 05:43 PM

the statement about how helmets are designed to absorb impact and protect you is entirely true. they are. are they supposed to crack? yes they are if the impact is fast enough(by this I mean a rapid rate of decelaration yielding high g forces). if that was the case hear I could understand. I don't think it is so. I highsided an F3 back in 97 at about 80 on a race track wearing an HJC CL-11 helmet. not a bad lid, but certainly not the best. did it crack? NO! were impact forces greater to that helmet than to something which endured a crash on dirt at what were reported to be slow speeds? I would have to say YES! Is the HJC product that much better than a FOX/KBC from Korea? I would certainly hope not from the snell/ dot ratings and also the price. should fox replace it? I think that if they stood behind their product enough to know that the $350 they charge for was worth it because it is superior to less expensive helmets, then they would. I will never buy anything for my head unless it has ARAI or SHOEI written on it. They are the best and if you crack one of theirs and are not a vegetable they would probably give you another or at least offer to sell you one at cost. What does that hurt?

• playnthedrt

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:11 PM

My son has a fox pilot helmet the lower end one that cost $199.00. And I think that they are a great helmet.I have alot of friends that own them
an they have never had any problems with there helmets. I own a answer M8 helmet and I love it.
I would like to think that fox would back there products though. My girlfriend tore up a pair of fox riding pants on the first day and they replaced them with no problem. But if you read he fine print it says if you have a hard impact with your helmet replace it.They should at least sell you one at cost. Did you send it to them for inspection?

• fastkevin

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Yak:
"You need to eduate yourself" - OK will do, thanks for the advice.

The Authority on helmet safety has spoken. Case closed. ex-Snell employee?
Anyway, let's not turn this honest post into a stupid flame war huh?

Road racing for years, I've gained some knowledge on helmets. Honest post? You're stating that there are structual defects with a helmet, yet you clearly have no concept of the design characteristics of a helmet, nor any knowledge of the basic components of the helmet, nor the intended purpose of the helmet (hint: if your helmet came out unscathed after a crash, your head wouldn't).
As far as a flamefest, you turned it into one by making the conspiracy accusations against,arguably the most important safety advocate motocyclists have

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

• grashoper250

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:17 PM

I don't believe that crack was caused by crash damage one bit. There's no sign of any impact, pitting, chips or anything...It's totally clean. The crack just starts out in the air vent and then fades away up towards the top. That's a defect if I've ever seen one. I guess I won't be buying one of those anytime soon. It's too bad they seem to be so arrogant that they won't even offer look at it and then give you a decision based on that. If there is a problem I would hope they would want to know and resolve it.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.