Raising Forks?

10 replies to this topic
  • banffboy

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I ride mostly tight woods with some open stuff. How much do you guys raise your forks? What would be the maximum..10mm 15mm?

• the426master

Posted June 07, 2004 - 01:08 AM

I moved mine up in the clamps about1/4 inch thats a 1/4 inch below the line in the top of the fork :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 07, 2004 - 06:37 AM

15mm is where mine is always. I do run a damper but I have no issues in sand or wide open riding as well. It really helps if you run less sag in the rear as well say about 3.6" instead of 4". :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted June 07, 2004 - 07:07 AM

I pulled mine up 10mm because I'm short :thumbsup:. The bike handles a lot quicker in the turns. I adjusted the sag to 100mm as well so the bike sits level. With too much stink bug effect, I had a tough time with headshake and it handled like crap in the sandy stuff.

Be careful how high you go as the tubes start to taper and the lower clamp will not grab the fork properly. Take a good look at the fork legs and you'll see where the start to narrow down.

• banffboy

Posted June 07, 2004 - 08:42 AM

Thanks guys. I have them at 15mm right now, but it feels a bit twitchy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tcmII

Posted June 07, 2004 - 05:44 PM

If your are trying to lower the bike than you will have to add more sag to the rear spring 100mm is roughly the factory recommend setting with the forks at the stock height. It's not quite as simple as this, but if you move the forks up 15mm you need to add more sag to keep the bike even.

This will cause you to have a softer setting but will likely help make the bike less twichy and make the steering a little slower. Even without moving the forks you will notice steering changes by changing the sag. Less sag will jack-up the rear and make the steering quicker. More sag makes the rear lower and makes the steering slower.

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 08, 2004 - 02:05 AM

sorry guys im fairly new to suspensions setups :thumbsup:, I just raised my forks to the maximum hight before the forks start to taper (about 20mm) and now if I was to change the sag to roughly 100mm im only changing the hight of the bike and not the overall handling? so in theory i just need to decrease the sag to about 90mm to bring the back end up, in turn putting more weight on the front?

• jwriott

Posted June 08, 2004 - 02:37 AM

You're right. I should have said that I actually did the fork mods before I set the sag to 100mm. Initially, mine only had about 80mm the way I got the bike.

• ETP

Posted June 08, 2004 - 03:13 AM

Be careful about how far you raise the forks. You could bottom out the tire on the fender during a "G" out if you go too far. Someone told me the scribe marks in the forks are the limit markers, but not quite sure about that.

• R_Little

Posted June 08, 2004 - 04:01 AM

Increasing the rear sag also puts the shock into stiffer valving. My problem is I have short legs and when I ride in woods I want the bike lower. When I drop the forks and increase the rear sag to lower the shock gets harsh. If I raise the rear, to get plushness the bike is just too high. I'm gonna try a lighter rear spring with less sag, but I think I need a shorter suspension. that will cost money.

• ogrebelle

Posted June 08, 2004 - 07:28 AM

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're trying to lower the bike you need to make changes to both ends (just remember that raising the forks 15mm and a corresponding increase in sag will give you something less than that for total reduction in bike height which is really not the way to go for lowering a bike anyway).

The real reason to raise the forks is to change the steering geometry and make the bike steer quicker (and twitchier depending on several other factors) for tight trails and woods riding or just to satisfy personal taste. In this case you don't want a corresponding increase in sag 'cuz that would negate the effects of raising the forks. Also, as mentioned by someone else, the shock valving is designed for a certain range of sag so keep it there. LSS, don't mess with sag when raising your forks, don't increase sag out of the range it was designed for, and don't lower your bike by changing suspension levels on suspension that wasn't designed for being lowered. :thumbsup:
Doug

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.