7 replies to this topic
  • yz450f_rider

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:31 PM

Hi Guys, Im new to the liquid cooled thumpers i just got a yz450f '04 and i would like to ask some questions and i would really apreciate your answers. ok
1- is the motor suppost to be noisy, i mean i can really hear whats goin on in there is that normal?
2- any mods i should do the the 450f?
3- Do these bikes have any problems?
4- i just finished breakin it in, im gonna changet the oil do i have to change the oil filter?

thanks in advance guys ! :thumbsup:

one more thing...
do liquid cooled engines make more noise than air cooled engines?

• YZFmunky

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Yeah the engine noise is normal. listen to a KTM 450 and you'll think your YZF is as quite as a mouse.
A good quick mod is to unplug the throttle position sensor at the carby, seems to smooth out the "hit" a bit. Get a good chain before the stock one kills your sprockets. i didn't know this until it was too late. If you've got some cash, get some nice bars and thats about it.
yeah change the filter the first few times as there will be a fair bit of crap come out the first few times. better yet, get a good stainless oil filter. they work better and faster and are re-usable so you'll save money in the long run.
YZF's are very reliable, i doubt you'll every have a problem with it if you do your maintenance properly.
enjoy the big blue beast!

• falshh

Posted June 06, 2004 - 03:36 PM

yea it sound like the valve and cams are out of adjustment but that is a normal sound, I evan checked my clearences before my first ride to make sure, but it is all good.
Change oil every ride and filter every 3rd that is what I do.I geared my rear sprocket up 2 teeth because of the tight tracks I ride and got a new D.I.D chain Im happy with the setup the low end punch is awsome!!!

• yz450f_rider

Posted June 07, 2004 - 08:04 AM

thanks for responding guys! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bergi600

Posted June 07, 2004 - 12:52 PM

throw in some good handlebars, leave the throttle positioning sensor alone, get an hour meter and change oil every 3hours, filter every 6hours und you should be fine!!!!

I put on a BRAKING oversized wave rotor, because I wasn`t pleased with the front brake performance....but this is personal taste as is suspension modifieing!!!!!

• Vet28

Posted June 08, 2004 - 08:00 AM

Sorry man...I get a laugh out of these posts! :awww:
The '04 450F is so stupidly fast most of us aren't using 1/2 the power they produce...yet, we have to make mods. My advise...get the good chain, good bars, spend any extra money on suspension and don't touch the TPS, or anything else. Maybe jet to your local area and enjoy. When you can blitz the gnarliest whoops tapped in 4th, go for the mods...until then, enjoy like the rest of us. Of course, if you are already a pro...disregard my comments. The single biggest performance gains are (1) rider lose weight -myself included (2) suspension upgrades.

p.s. I am fat & slow! :thumbsup:

• yz450f_rider

Posted June 08, 2004 - 08:12 AM

hahhaha well im 120 lbs and 5,6 i dont think i need any weight lost

hey is it normal for a 04 yz450f to have clutch chadder or some kind of noise like that...
When the bike is idleing in neutral with the clutch out it makes a chadder sort of a rattle maybe and when i pull the clutch in the noiswe almost goes away is this normal for the '04??? i thought i t got fixed?? am i wrong ?? is this normal ??

help ! :thumbsup:

• Anssi

Posted June 08, 2004 - 09:40 AM

Go ride.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.