First Oil Change WR450F

13 replies to this topic
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:39 AM

Anything I should know? I went to the Yamaha dealer and they gave me a new oil filter and two quarts of Yamalube 20W40. How much total oil does the 04 WR450 take? All two quarts?

• wrooster

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:49 AM

the oil capacity is listed in the manual. if you don't have a manual, download the PDF version here...
http://www.thumperfa.../oemmanuals.htm

the '03 and '04 WR450F have the same engine so the '03 manual is fine for you.

more tips on changing the oil are here,
http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm
although the 250F FAQ is geared towards the smaller bike, a lot of the info is directly applicable to the 426F/450F as well.

click here and scroll down,
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:50 AM

thanks I'll check it out

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 06, 2004 - 08:25 AM

is it nessesarry to pull out that strainer screen behind the skid plate? Not quite sure what to do about that? This will be my WR's first oil change 160 miles on the bike.

• YamahaSteve

Posted June 06, 2004 - 08:39 AM

It wouldn't hurt to do the "Full" oil job on the bike for the first job. The screen could have debris from manufacturing in it or metal pieces from break in. Put in a new filter and clean the screen.

I am of the opinion that you can't go wrong by over doing the oil change jobs...

• wrooster

Posted June 06, 2004 - 11:09 AM

is it nessesarry to pull out that strainer screen behind the skid plate? Not quite sure what to do about that?

http://www.thumperfa...ange.htm#Strain

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Shuffler

Posted June 07, 2004 - 06:50 PM

I just bought an '02 WR426 with 150 miles on it (220 after my session yesterday). I started in on the oil change tonight...all went well until I went to loosen the nut so I could pull the screen out. Since my filter had fine metal bits and gunk in it, I'm guessing I'd better clean the screen. I can't figure out how to break that nut loose; it's like it got painted over & 'baked on' at the factory. Any tips on getting that fokker loose??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaSteve

Posted June 07, 2004 - 07:13 PM

Any tips on getting that fokker loose??

Mine was tough too. You just need the right sized wrench. Once I got the right size on there you just have to tweak on it until it pops loose. Sorry I can't remember what size it was exactly.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 07, 2004 - 10:34 PM

If you can get a socket wrench on it, the only way to get out tough or stuck bolts is with a six point socket. A 12 point may strip it.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 08, 2004 - 02:51 AM

the bolt size for the strainer in the frame is 19MM on my 04 WR450. Damn it was tight!

Any tips on getting that fokker loose??

Mine was tough too. You just need the right sized wrench. Once I got the right size on there you just have to tweak on it until it pops loose. Sorry I can't remember what size it was exactly.

• Shuffler

Posted June 08, 2004 - 03:17 AM

yeah, crazy-tight. :thumbsup: I need to hit Sears to pick up a 15/16 and 24mm deep 6-point sockets and get after it with a breaker bar. When I reinstall, I'm ignoring the torque specs and going by feel - life should be easier next time around.

• Shuffler

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:50 AM

went to Sears, got the 15/16 6-pt deep socket and used the handle from my HiLift jack as a breaker bar and popped that strainer nut right off. The screen was clean. I ignored the torque specs and snugged the bolts by feel. 1.5 quarts of fresh 10W50 Yamalube, new filter, and life is good.

• Blue...ByeU

Posted June 10, 2004 - 04:46 AM

1.5 quarts? The manual states 1.1 w/filter change. My dipstick reads right to the top with the 1.1qts added.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 10, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Mine takes 1.2 quarts or 1.1 liters. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.