Red rider coming to the blue side for '03...

21 replies to this topic
  • Motoxjeff95

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:32 AM

I had a $200 dollar deposit down on a CRF450, and I'm deciding to just let that go for the YZF450...I'm not loyal to any brand (I will only EVER buy a honda or yamaha) I just want to win, and I think the YZF will be a superior bike (as much as it hurts to say that after all of the woody shirts I bought...LOL) to the CRF...I race ONLY MX and SX, I'm not a desert rat or a trail rider...I think the 4 speed trany with Yamaha's great engine already will be too much for the CRF next year...So I will be joining your forum instead of the red one!

• Motoxjeff95

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:34 AM

I had to change the bikes I will be riding (in my profile) lol.

• westladog

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:36 AM

You guys are jumping on the bandwagon too fast. I'd say wait and test ride both bikes first before making a decision. I'm sure both bikes are fine bikes though.

• Motoxjeff95

Posted June 19, 2002 - 07:46 AM

Uhm Ok....I dont have a bike currently...And none of my friends have a dirt bike, what am I suppose to do go to a local track and find people who own these bikes and say "Uh dude I want to ride your bike can I?"

I have to make my decision based off of the spec.'s and past reviews. Unless someone else has an idea?
:)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 19, 2002 - 07:57 AM

MotoXjeff95, welcome to the Blue Side........

• Motoxjeff95

Posted June 19, 2002 - 09:40 PM

thank you GA, I dont think I'll ever go red again! Yamaha makes some great motorcycles, and I think the YZF 450 for MX people will be the best bike available!

• Mark_UK

Posted June 19, 2002 - 10:13 AM

jeff i rode a crf450 today

lovely bike

but i gotta say i thought my 4 year old yzf felt smoother [less vibration] and stronger then the honda,,,
and i rode the bike with a view to maybe buy one,, so im not trying to slam the bike at all

i think the 450 yz is going to be a real gem of a bike,, a muscled up 426 with added low end torque :)

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mark_UK ]

• Motoxjeff95

Posted June 19, 2002 - 10:20 AM

I had a down payment on a CRF and when i saw the new YZF (I ride and race MX only) with 4 gears, and the weight loss....my eyes lit up...Both bikes will be competetive, but the Yamaha will hold an edge in the engine department...and the engine department is my main reason for buying any bike!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 20, 2002 - 08:45 AM

A lot of people think that the Honda doenst have the guts of the YZ power wise, but I watched the Illinios state fair ground TT on TV and the Honda's were staying with 600cc 65 horse Rotax powered flat track bikes in drag races down the straights. Thats just plain horsepower.

Having riddden the 450, I think its decieving, power wise. It may not hit, but dont confuse that for slow. Saying the CR450 is slow, is to not compare lap times.

Motojeff, you can rent both bikes. I know before I buy a new one, thats what Im going to do.

• Hick

Posted June 20, 2002 - 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
Motojeff, you can rent both bikes.

Not around here you can’t. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Must be nice to live in Cali…

…NOT :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • westladog

Posted June 20, 2002 - 09:07 PM

I for one have let other people at the track ride my 450 for a lap or two. I try to be as nice as possible to people at the track.

...but I know not to let punkass kids riding it :)

• beezer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 09:16 PM

Around here in Joisey some dealers won't even let you sit on the thing without your wallet out.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 20, 2002 - 12:25 PM

Ya here in the MX hub of the world we have all kinds of silly $hit. For 275 per day, you can rent a brand new Mx bike. A place called MX rentals of all things! Who'd uh thunkit? :)

Im sure it will be a while before there is a 450 of each to be had, but Im not on fire to get a new one anyway, so I can wait.

• FAST23

Posted June 20, 2002 - 12:55 PM

GO BLUE!BEST BIKES OUT THERE :)

• MANIAC998

Posted June 20, 2002 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to the Blue side! You might think that your main reason for buying the YZF is for the power, but I think you will be equally impressed with the suspension and handling. The power might just be too much!!! Maniac :) :D :D

• therapture

Posted June 20, 2002 - 02:04 PM

I think you should pick what YOU feel is the best for YOU. Don't worry about what other riders think....

As if either bike would cost you a race! Both bikes will be fast, handle well, and capable of winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, bikes have gotten SO GOOD that it is splitting hairs and/or personal preference as to what bike to get.

Having ridden BOTH the CRF and YZF, I actually prefer the YZF, it fits me better, the power has more "hit" to it, and I don't care what someone else thinks, especially someone I can blow the doors off of in a race :D

For 2003 I am getting a blue beast, I and some of my pals concur, we think the 4 speeder will be awesome for MX and SX work, which is where I spend 99.9% of my riding time. Any "shortcomings" will be dealt with if needed, all bikes need a bit of personal setup to be "the best" for a particualr rider. Put it this way, setup CAN make the difference between spoding out or knocking 2 secs off of your lap times.

Buy the bike YOU like, and enjoy it. Forget the brand fanatics that would claim their brand is the best even if it had a 1975 Briggs and Stratton go kart motor strapped in it and 3" travel shocks! :) :D

• westladog

Posted June 20, 2002 - 02:21 PM

Originally posted by therapture:
I think you should pick what YOU feel is the best for YOU. Don't worry about what other riders think....

As if either bike would cost you a race! Both bikes will be fast, handle well, and capable of winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, bikes have gotten SO GOOD that it is splitting hairs and/or personal preference as to what bike to get.

Having ridden BOTH the CRF and YZF, I actually prefer the YZF, it fits me better, the power has more "hit" to it, and I don't care what someone else thinks, especially someone I can blow the doors off of in a race :D

For 2003 I am getting a blue beast, I and some of my pals concur, we think the 4 speeder will be awesome for MX and SX work, which is where I spend 99.9% of my riding time. Any "shortcomings" will be dealt with if needed, all bikes need a bit of personal setup to be "the best" for a particualr rider. Put it this way, setup CAN make the difference between spoding out or knocking 2 secs off of your lap times.

Buy the bike YOU like, and enjoy it. Forget the brand fanatics that would claim their brand is the best even if it had a 1975 Briggs and Stratton go kart motor strapped in it and 3" travel shocks! :) :D

You took the words right out of my mouth! That's plagerism :D j/k

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: westladog ]

• mxaddict

Posted June 20, 2002 - 02:37 PM

Put it this way, setup CAN make the difference between spoding out or knocking 2 secs off of your lap times.

And of course some guys complete riding style is 'spoding out' no matter the setup or bike... :)

I don't care what someone else thinks, especially someone I can blow the doors off of in a race.

Hey now, easy...that hurts man, that really hurts... :D

What? I can't join a clique and slam everyone else so we can think we are cool? What is this sport about then? Forget it, I quit...I'm gettin' a slammed 'bimmer and cruising the mall...

• therapture

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:55 PM

LOL @ mxaddict!!!!! :)

yousa funnee guy, yousa bad dood... (spoken in your BEST JarJar Binks accent)

• fastkevin

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
A lot of people think that the Honda doenst have the guts of the YZ power wise, but I watched the Illinios state fair ground TT on TV and the Honda's were staying with 600cc 65 horse Rotax powered flat track bikes in drag races down the straights. Thats just plain horsepower.

Having riddden the 450, I think its decieving, power wise. It may not hit, but dont confuse that for slow. Saying the CR450 is slow, is to not compare lap times.

What you saw was a very "breathed on" CRF450 (Nick), and a bone stock 426 (Tommy). If you remember, Despain made a comment about Nick's bike being "very close" to Nate Ramsey's. I'm sure you also remember Tommy lapping as many people as his brother did.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.