62bhp from my brp

24 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:25 PM

You are right there...what does mud look like? So. Cal. NO mud.

• DualSport650

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, we have lots of mud up here in the Pacific Northwest. Here are a few random pics for you...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redrider013

Posted June 07, 2004 - 01:27 AM

There is alot of tricks and you can get just about any reading you want out of a Dyno.

that is correct, if I wanted to, I could deliver a dyno readout of 100+hp on my bike, but that's pointless.
And also as mentioned before: high hp-nrs are only there to bragg about in the bar/pub/cafe.
I think a dyno is to be used, to see how the powercurve looks like on your bike, and tweak it accordingly.
The same bike with the same mods, can and will get a different dyno-reading when put on a different dyno-bank.
So the comparissants are slightly dishonest anyhow.

as soon as mr. quicksilver drops on my doormat, I'll take my bike to the dyno to get the best out of it, regardless of power or torque numbers

but that's just me,
grtz Ed (from Holland)

• heliosstudios

Posted June 07, 2004 - 04:54 AM

Perhaps if the dyno was setup for an 18" rear wheel and a 15" motard slick was put on, wouldn't that skew the torque measured and resulting horsepower result? If horsepower is being measured in terms of the delta-acceleration of a known mass, or even the delta-acceleration of a variable resistance, then a lower gearing should appear as higher horsepower unless compensated for with accurate wheel diameter measurements. That said, I have no idea how a typical dyno works, so flame away. :thumbsup:

• JR650

Posted June 07, 2004 - 08:47 AM

horsepower is a function of torque and rpm so the gearing does not effect it (all things being equal) unless you spin as a result of lower gearing. That said, a smaller rear wheel will result in more power at the wheel due to the decreased rotating mass of the smaller wheel (assuming the wheel is of similar design). This is partially why all the rice on the road with 20's is so funny since they are slow to start with. As to longevity, generally two things wreck bottom ends, detonation and rpm. Given the same strength rod, a lower revving motor can make more hp before failure than a high revver. Many if not most failed connecting rods are due to the BIG END coming apart on the exhaust to intake stroke when it is unloaded. Revs are what kills bottom ends more than how much power an engine makes. Horsepower is calculated by (torque(ft/lbs)xRPM)/5252 for reference.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.