62bhp from my brp

24 replies to this topic
  • xrvince

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:20 PM

has anyone got over 60 bhp from their xr650r?i have mine set up with edelbrock carb,12/1 high comp-piston,stage 1 hot-cam,high-rev kit and big gun full race system.i am quite pleased with the results,there is a guy over here that managed to get 74bhp from his brp with out even boring the cylinder out to 680-700 .what performance have you guys got from your brp. :thumbsup:

• tzsr1

Posted June 06, 2004 - 12:59 AM

Hey XRVince - New to big singles. Could you give some details on the high rev kit - maker, cost, installation, your opinion on how well it works, that sort of thing. Thanks!

• xrvince

Posted June 06, 2004 - 10:52 AM

HIGH REV KIT FROM XR'S ONLY AND YOU JUST UNPLUG THE STANDARD CDI UNIT AND PLUG IN THE XR'S ONLY UNIT ,THATS IT AND IT WILL NOW REV OUT TO 9500 RPM.IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN POWER DELIVERY AND IT'S GOOD FOR ANOTHE 3 BHP.WORTH THE MONEY I THINK. :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 11:03 AM

You'll hear alot of numbers fling around about the BRP putting out 55hp but, that's at the fly wheel and Quadsan posted 48 from a uncorked BRP is about right I think about 49 out of mine with an non 'O' ring chain, header, R4, Uni and holes in the air box, (when new and still a 650) I guess I might get a higher reading when I went to a Mikuni and if I would run a street tire insted of a worn MT21. There is alot of tricks and you can get just about any reading you want out of a Dyno. Rob Barnum was saying he dosn't see Dyno readings higher then 48 out of a stock BRP no matter what the mods and no more then 58 out of a tricked out 680 on the Dyno he uses. I quess if you want to impress with high numbers you wouldn't want to use a honest Dyno like Barnums, but, if your looking for the best tuned bike then, what I have heard (many times) Dynos are for use to get the most out of your bike but, you have to use the same dyno and it has to be setup the same everytime. Most don't want to talk torque numbers. That realy shows a power difference between 2 smokes, four strokes and bigger four strokes. I stopped beleaving those high inflated number. Many guy say there getting 64hp from the 650 and then a guy with a 680, come along and blows his bars of in a drag race :awww:

An uncorked XR650R produces close to 42 lb/ft of torque at 5,500 RPM and close to 48 rear wheel HP at 6,500 RPM
50 lb/ft and 64hp at 7,200 for a 680 is what is usaly excepted as the truth :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 11:07 AM

I have been told that this is a XR400 CDI. I have a XR400 here but, have not tried it and have noone that has the XR's only box to test against. The XR400 box will plug in and revs to 9800.

• xrvince

Posted June 06, 2004 - 01:11 PM

HERE'S WHAT IV'E DONE TO MINE STAGE 1 HOTCAM,12/1 HIGH COMPRESSION PISTON,EDELBROCK CARB ,HIGH-REV KIT ,BIG GUN FULL RACE SYSTEM AND PORTING THE HEAD .THE STANDARD SET UP WITH EDELBROCK CARB WAS 54.6 BHP AND THE AFTER MODS SET UP WAS 62 BHP AT THE REAR WHEEL .I HAVE DONE ALL MY DYNO RUNS ON SUPERMOTO WHEELS WHICH GIVE MORE OF AN ACURATE READING.I KNOW ANOTHER GUY OVER HERE IN THE UK THAT HAS MANAGED 74 BHP AT THE WHEEL BUT HE HAS NOT BORED IT OUT AND HE IS VERY TIGHTLIPPED ABOUT HIS MODS I MANAGED TO GET SOME IN FO OUT OF HIM AND THATS HOW I ACHEIVED OVER 60 BHP. :thumbsup:

• heliosstudios

Posted June 06, 2004 - 03:39 PM

Are BHP's the same units between the US and UK? :thumbsup:

• DualSport650

Posted June 06, 2004 - 03:47 PM

Quick Question:

How much horsepower does an 0-Ring chain rob you of?

What about an old used up O-Ring chain?

Who knows, for a bit more power, I may switch to a regular chain!!! :thumbsup:

Ride on

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 04:18 PM

From the stock 'O'-ring to a non 'O' ring is 1.5 to 2 hp(some say more). It's about 1 to 1.5 from the stock to an 'X'-ring. it's big enough that you can feel it! :awww: Realy make a difference on the 400's. Quicker responce. Get the two side by side and you'll see why :thumbsup: DID ERT Gold chain is $50, stock chain $130, DID Gold ERV2 X-ring chain $130.

• DualSport650

Posted June 06, 2004 - 05:00 PM

Dude, 1.5 to 2 more horses on the BRP. I'm SOLD! :awww:

What about maintenance for a non-o-ring chain? What's the best lube and maintenance routine?

Right now I just use 80 weight gear oil on my chain. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 05:35 PM

There is a down side :thumbsup: a non 'O' ring chain streches faster on bikes bigger then the XR400......and now like you said, you have to lube it all the time. I like the cristal clear but, I am still out if it work at lubing better then the sticky stuff on non O ring. I don't like the wax stuff because of the mess that it leaves on the swing arm but, it works great. You can buy it alot (major) cheaper at K-mart or kragen it's just deluted some (it's white Lithium Grease in a spray can). I went to the X-ring when I went to the Mikuni. The added snap that I got from the pumper realy seemed to make the chain strech fast. The X-ring is stronger then the stock and dosn't strech much at all but, again your paying $$$$ for it.

• qadsan

Posted June 06, 2004 - 05:46 PM

That's quite a bit of difference in power between a o-ring chain and non o-ring chain, but quite different than the dyno results myself and some others experienced. Once the o-ring chain was warmed up, there was no measurable difference in power from what we seen.

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 05:53 PM

I would swear by it and some say B.S. but, at the end I haven't found anyone that can't feel the difference and you can sure see the difference. A stock 'O' ring chain can hold seven pins out straight....non-O-ring none. That's a major difference in stiffness. I have not tested it and like usual am beleiving the back of a box :thumbsup: but, I will still say try it and you can feel it and thats what I need. Eveb at a half hp it cheaper then most mods per $

• DualSport650

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:05 PM

For 1.5 to 2 horsepower, I'll deal with the extra chain stretching by just replacing it more often. :thumbsup:

But Quadsan is confusing me a little with his reply. So, I'm just going to stick with the thought that a non-o-ring chain gives 1.5 to 2 more horses over an o-ring and get the non-o-ring for the added (much needed) power.

How much will putting holes in the airbox do for my '96 XR600?

Here's my engine set up:

1) Airbox snorkle ripped off and thrown in the neighor's yard.

2) Uni Filter

3) Stock header: inside welds grinded down & header is ceramic coated

4) Stock muffler: end piece completely opened up (no spark arrestor) and turn-down tip welded on

5) Jetting is now spot-on perfect

I need more (cheap) power from the old XR600 to tide me over til I buy an XR650!

Any suggestions? :awww:

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:12 PM

What is your take on a 650 bore with radical cam, high compression and all the works putting out 64, 68 or even 74hp. I was happy thinking that mine with all the goodies was above fifty. Barnum did say that porting and polishing gets some more but, you start realy losing the bottom end. I started to give an answer earlier but, deleted it when I noticed I wasn't reading what I thought I was. If I am not mistaken this is a 650cc bore putting out 62hp and there is another putting out 74hp? I am looking for 58~64hp with a more radical cam then a HRC, 11:1 680 piston and the best header, muffler, carburetor I can get :thumbsup: what gives :awww: I am not saying it can't be done but, 17" wheels, different sprocket setups, how you role it on and in what gear all had something to do with it. You can also have those looking to just get the highest HP numbers and give up low end torque. Is this the big difference? Were is the base line? I think it gets hard to fallow the numbers when you have MOtard and dirt bike setups and you give rear wheel readings without the torque values you get off the dyno chart to see what your giving up to get those high end numbers. As I was writing this you were answering the same basic question on a differt thread :lol:

• qadsan

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:38 PM

The ring chains in the 80's robbed significantly more power than today's ring chains. There's even been a few chain tests in various magazines about this point, but not every test agrees from what I recall :thumbsup:. It's my understanding that once the chain warms up that the lube in the ring chains makes the rings float instead of drag on the plates. While you can feel the drag when pushing the bike around, it doesn't act the same when hot and spinning fast. While a brand new non-ring chain feels like it has less drag when cleaned & lubed shape, that can change when it's hot and has road grime or dirt on it.

One of the guys here on TT that goes by the handle 'FFRacing79' whose dyno chart was pictured in the link above (the 60HP YZF450) has also done dyno comparisons between o-ring and non-oring and couldn't see much if any difference.

The dyno doesn't always tell the whole story, so perhaps its quite possible to feel a little more initial snap with an non o-ring chain even if there's not much difference in peak power numbers. No matter which chain is used, a dirty or dry chain will rob power.

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:59 PM

For 1.5 to 2 horsepower, I'll deal with the extra chain stretching by just replacing it more often. That works :lol:
But Quadsan is confusing me a little with his reply. So, I'm just going to stick with the thought that a non-o-ring chain gives 1.5 to 2 more horses over an o-ring and get the non-o-ring for the added (much needed) power.
I won't say he's wrong, I got the info off a chain box. If you look on the internet you will find all kinds of claims like that but, I say you can feel it...bottom line is get one and before you do anything else ride...change the chain...ride then come tell all...your the judge :lol:
How much will putting holes in the airbox do for my '96 XR600? You will have to rejet
I did on mine....it helped I didn't get a base line on my stock XR600R but, I was getting 42hp with XR's only header, supper trap, air filter (no screen), holes in side of air box. Then I went 12:1 wisco piston 610, XR's only cam, and TM38 mikuni and was just at 47hp and I was major happy thought they would never come out with a bike that fast....then I got smoked by a KX500 :awww: Man I did everthing to that bike suspension the works...what a pain in the end to start hot, it got to were I would have to take the plug out and then put it back in to start the bike...I didn't have a hot start button :lol: didn't know about it back then. You can go to far looking for power spending more money on it then what I could of something better. That's what I did... :lol:
Here's my engine set up:

1) Airbox snorkle ripped off and thrown in the neighor's yard.

2) Uni Filter

3) Stock header: inside welds grinded down & header is ceramic coated

4) Stock muffler: end piece completely opened up (no spark arrestor) and turn-down tip welded on

5) Jetting is now spot-on perfect

I need more (cheap) power from the old XR600 to tide me over til I buy an XR650!

Any suggestions?
Nitro! hey, have fun and when the chance comes and you can't stand it any more you'll find a XR650R at a price you can't walk away from. My next bike will be a CRF250R :thumbsup: I can have this one to scare me and the BRP to prove my man hood ;)

• qadsan

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:01 PM

What is your take on a 650 bore with radical cam, high compression...

Personally, I'd be researching and counting on the experiences of others who have gone there before because I don't know where the limits are, but I'd much rather have a bike that makes a bit less power that's much more reliable than a bike that pushes that edge to where long term reliability suffers. I just don't know where that line truly is and probably very few people do and that's where the experience comes into play. Here's one article I kept a link to that makes mention of the bottom end being built for 70+ ponies, but I don't know how long it would last when compared to a bike that made 10% less power. I do know there's plenty of people with bikes that make a lot less power than my bike that can smoke me :thumbsup:

http://www.hondaredr...&Type=OR&bhcp=1

"The bike’s proven itself over and over,” says Campbell. “The bottom end was built for more than 70 horsepower, and we’ve never been able to get that much out of our bikes,” he laughs. (Campbell admits to getting 60+ horsepower out of the full-kit motors.)"

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:02 PM

Matt,

You are a good man, go X ring! I had a conventional chain when I first moved down to Portland and it got tatered in a hurry. Rusted, kinked links suck! Did you mention you ride in the mud 80% of the time? Rocky Mountain MC sells the DID X Ring for like $65 where the shops sell it for $130.

Come up, I have some fun single track for you!!!

Did you guys go to China Hat for Mammorial Day???

Ryan

• DualSport650

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hey Ryan,

Whassup?! :awww:

Hey, you have a good point. I do ride in the mud a lot here and should probably go with the X-Ring. :lol:

I gotta get an XR650 soon though. :lol:

I didn't go to China Hat on Memorial Day weekend, but I did 2 weeks before. It was pretty cool. Nut-sack hill rocked as always. :thumbsup:

My bro got a KLX400 and we're going camping in a secret spot this weekend. :lol:

You planning to ride down here anytime soon?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.