03 crf450 forks on xr650r supermoto

4 replies to this topic
  • xrvince

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:01 PM

hi guys,
i was just wondering if any of you have put 03crf450 forks on the brp using the standard crf top and bottom clamps?it seems like the xr spindle will press straight in with no hassle but the top clamp will need a sleeve as the origional crf spindle was bigger at the top clamp.also the steering stops are in the wrong place, i was thinking of machining these off and either welding some stops on or putting some hardened pins in ,any info much appreciated. :thumbsup:

• cat0020

Posted June 06, 2004 - 01:19 AM

I'lve used a set of custom triple clamps for the CRF to install a set of Phlins USD forklegs onto my XR650R.
Here is the thread that had the discussion:

http://www.thumperta...rue#Post1035044

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrvince

Posted June 06, 2004 - 10:37 AM

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN USING THE USD FORK SET UP ON THE BRP?HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCE IN THE HANDLING ,ARE YOU USING THEM FOR SUPERMOTO USE ALSO?DID YOU PRESS THE XR STEERING STEM INTO THE BOTTOM CLAMP,IF YES HOW DID YOU MAKE THE TOP CLAMP FIT THE XR STEM AS THE XR STEM IS SMALLER THAN THE CRF SPINDLE ,DID YOU HAVE TO SLEEVE THE TOP CLAMP SO THE XR SPINDLE WAS A TIGHT FIT?ANY INFO IS DEFINATELY HELP .AND WHAT ABOUT THE STEERING STOPS ON THE CRF YOKES ,DID THEY WORK ON THE XR HEAD STOCK? :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2004 - 10:53 AM

That was a fun thread :awww: I don't mine when others bag on someone else bike :lol: It would just be that much better when you meet up with him and plow his bars off. :lol: Some just get so put out when someone tries something different :lol: but, in the end if it works everone jumps on board. I think it looks :lol: with inverted forks :thumbsup: Good luck

• cat0020

Posted June 06, 2004 - 03:52 PM

I have had the Ohlins installed onto my XR650R since April, so far only have 4 rides on it, less than 100 miles.

With my riding style, I can't tell if there is significant performance gain from switching to Ohlins, but definately more adjustability than stock forks.

I had to have the steering stem pressed out from OEM lower triple clamp and hydraulic pressed into the custom made triple clamps for the Ohlins forklegs.

I don't remember having trouble with the top end of the steering stem being too small. But since I'm not using the CRF triple clamp, I may not be experiencing the same problem as you.

Best of luck with your project, I'm happy with my results.. and Ihope you will with yours, too. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.