Not using fork protectors

8 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted June 05, 2004 - 09:59 AM

I have noticed that alot of people are taking off the round fork protectors on Yamaha forks to make them look like the factory bikes bell bottom style. Does this have any effect on the fork either positively or negatively?

• Satch0922

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:21 AM

how do they take them off?

• gonzo

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:50 AM

There's just that one bolt. Just undo that and they pull off.

• Wyatt

Posted June 05, 2004 - 04:05 PM

I didn't run them on my '01 and I don't run them on my '04. The fork protectors are more prone to damage witout the guides, but I have never had any problems. IMO it looks cleaner without them and saves an ounce or two.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grashoper250

Posted June 05, 2004 - 04:51 PM

You can clean and lube the dust seals way quicker without having to remove that slider guide. It's worthless, ditch it.

• Anssi

Posted June 05, 2004 - 06:48 PM

So you are talking about the slide guide and not the protectors? I took the things off and put zip ties in their place to prevent scuffing the outer tubes(which would be only cosmetic and is pretty unlikely anyways).

Most bikes don't have them in the first place and neither will the -05 Yamahas according to the photos posted on the Web a couple of weeks ago.

• gonzo

Posted June 06, 2004 - 01:40 AM

Zip ty's? How and where?

• Anssi

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:05 AM

The zip-ties go around the outer for tube where the guide used to be. They come out of the groove just enough for the protectors to touch them first should they be on their way to contact the tube.

• Satch0922

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:20 AM

ok...I misunderstood what part you were talking about. Heck mine are usless as one is gone on the right so I could install the "holeshot device" and the left one is just there as I modified the protector when I did the CR brake line.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.