Woodruff key problem, Im confused

5 replies to this topic
  • fourstroke450

Posted June 05, 2004 - 07:58 AM

What exactly is the woodruff key, and how does it break, and what happens when it does? What should be done to fix this? Is there more than one fix for it? I am lokking at a 03 wr450 right now, and i read the posts on the problem and the fix, but im still confused.

• sabin

Posted June 05, 2004 - 09:29 AM

better do not get 2003 model. AFAIK even with the latest fix there was still problems. Make a serch on the topic and you will find lots of info...

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:17 AM

Actually if you upgrage to the '04 parts (~$250) the bike is reliable. I haven't heard of anyone with '04 parts have any problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:31 AM

What if it was allready shreded and fixed with loctite. You know the key shreading also demages the crank.

I will better get 426 than 2003 450... I guess I'm not the risky type :thumbsup:

• timvv51

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:38 AM

If there were some way to tell if the key had ever shredded or not it would be great. An 03 that has never shredded and has been updated is a terrific bike. I'm sure there are a bunch of them out there. Tim

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 05, 2004 - 01:05 PM

The loctite fix proved to not be a very reliable fix with many bikes failing after it was performed on them. The '04 parts are the sure cure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.