stock exhaust

4 replies to this topic
  • squad56

Posted June 04, 2004 - 07:52 PM

does anyone know if there is anything that could be done to the stock exhaust to open it up or something along those lines. or would it just be better to go and buy aftermarket? any input would be great.

• gonzo

Posted June 05, 2004 - 02:55 AM

The stock muffler is actually pretty good. If you want to do anything try replacing the header with an FMF Powerbomb. It makes a huge difference. I had this hookup when I smashed my header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FOUR41

Posted June 05, 2004 - 05:54 AM

I ride at my own practice track and noise isn't a concern. I replaced the stock silencer with an FMF 14" Ti-4 and midpipe (left the stock head pipe). The bike has more throttle response and the power seems much smoother. This was a great mod.

I wonder if shortening the stock silencer would help power delivery? Look at the outdoor factory yamaha's. The silencer doesn't even stick out form behind the side panels. Just a thought.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 06, 2004 - 08:34 AM

... Look at the outdoor factory yamaha's. The silencer doesn't even stick out form behind the side panels. ...

Look closely, lots of them have the header wrapped a lot more around by the head (low-boy style). The overall length is the same, but more of the length is up by the head instead of sticking out the rear fender. This allows them to move the silencer down more under the side pannel.

• squad56

Posted June 06, 2004 - 08:07 PM

when the head pipe is wrapped around the head more does it give you any more power?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.