01 YZ426 Fork Seal Blower !

7 replies to this topic
  • Endi

Posted June 04, 2004 - 10:36 AM

I am really glad I found you guys ! I have an 01 426, I am 200 lbs, pro rider "mostly" but not racing anymore - This is a new bike for me but I keep blowing fork seals - I am even keeping it on the ground most of the time. Does anyone else have problems with this ??

• felony

Posted June 04, 2004 - 03:05 PM

i have a 01 too but i dont seem to be having the problems you are.What kind of oil level are you running?do you keep the forks compressed for any length of time such as with tie down straps going to the track?Its also good to let the air out before and after every ride.Myabe your bushings could be shot as well,too much movement will accelerate wear as well.well hope this helps,its an idea where to start anyhow,good luck :thumbsup:

• steg211

Posted June 04, 2004 - 04:17 PM

I had an 01 wr426 that kept blowing seals. After my second set I ordered some Seal Savers and never had a problem again. I now use them on my yz450 and have never blown a seal. Everyone I know who uses them likes them. Simple idea but seems to work. Btw. I'm about your size, 190lbs, and usually ride past my stock suspension's limits(i.e. hard bottoming)

• 4two6stroker

Posted June 07, 2004 - 11:38 AM

Blowing them out or just leaking a bit? I sometimes take a thin laminated card and swipe out dirt from under the seal. It could just be dirt that gets lodged up in there. Also keep the legs clean after your ride or in between motos helps too. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merfman

Posted June 07, 2004 - 11:54 AM

Last time I was blowing seals on my '01 426, I examined the fork tubes and found a small nick that was slicing the seals. A little sandpaper and scotchbrite later, the seals are still fine.

Merf

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 07, 2004 - 03:24 PM

replace the dust wipers when you do the next set of seals. If dirt gets past the wipers, they are going to the seals next.

Also pack between the wipers and seal with white lithium grease.

• Squirly246

Posted June 08, 2004 - 04:34 AM

I was having trouble blowing the seal on the right side only(seems everyone I ride blows the right oneon the yamahas, not sure why though). Anyway I changed it a couple of times. Last time I changed the fork seal I bought a fork kit from rockymountainmc.com. It comes with the seel, dust seal, retainer washer, and new bushings. I have about five rides with no problem since. Also make sure you set the oil level right. I have my level about 80 mm from the top with the spring guide down in the fork(that is at the high end of the scale). Let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day. :thumbsup:

• Endi

Posted June 08, 2004 - 01:13 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply - really appreciate.....!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.