Suspension mods for us short people.

5 replies to this topic
  • 96warrior

Posted June 03, 2004 - 10:53 PM

Who here has had there bike shortened? Who did you have do it, and how many$$$ did it cost. I love this bike, and am going to keep it. But I'd like to be a little lower to the gound like on my cr125. It would make starting alot easier for me, and I'd feel alot more comfertable on technical trails.

What all would I have to do aside from rear shock, and front fork removal???

Please shed some light on this, not gonna get rid of the bike either :thumbsup:

• NewBee

Posted June 04, 2004 - 01:33 AM

I have the 2004 WR450F and found it was to high so the dealer lowered the rear shock a little to make it easier to use. It only took a hammer and a flathead screwdriver. :thumbsup:

• groundhog

Posted June 04, 2004 - 02:23 AM

I cut about 1 inch of foam out of the seat. I used a hacksaw blade, but understand an electric knife works better.
I lowered the subframe about 10mm. Take the lower bolts out and you can shove the subframe down some. I just elongated the holes. These two things added up to almost 2 inches at the seat.
I also installed Race Tech suspension which allows me to soften the shock a little without losing suspension quality. Another 1/2 inch here.
The down side was that I did all this with a worn out rear tire and was very pleased with the lowered height. However, I lost 3/4 inch when I put on a new tire!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • siambxr

Posted June 04, 2004 - 06:49 AM

I cut about 1 inch of foam out of the seat. I used a hacksaw blade, but understand an electric knife works better.
I lowered the subframe about 10mm. Take the lower bolts out and you can shove the subframe down some. I just elongated the holes. These two things added up to almost 2 inches at the seat.
I also installed Race Tech suspension which allows me to soften the shock a little without losing suspension quality. Another 1/2 inch here.
The down side was that I did all this with a worn out rear tire and was very pleased with the lowered height. However, I lost 3/4 inch when I put on a new tire!

Yups cut that seat.. I cut the seat of my Husky 2.25 inches and WOOW ! nice and comfy and still have that full travel on the front and back.. :thumbsup:

• dirtsurfer1

Posted June 04, 2004 - 06:56 AM

I bought a used wr400 that had been professionally lowered. I just got through putting the front back to stock and am doing the rear right now. I have aftermarket springs that are 2" shorter than stock I would be willing to part with. I also have a rear shock that has been shortened that I am changing out. Let me know. :thumbsup:

• WR321

Posted June 04, 2004 - 06:45 PM

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride mostly tight trails. My wr450 also always felt too tall for me. I took my suspension to Devol (http://www.devolraci.../suspension.htm) to get it lowered 2", revalved, and setup for my weight.

What a difference, it is a new bike. The top heavy feeling is gone and it corners remarkably better. I am amazed a the difference this made to the ride. They did a super job; I wish I had done it last year. It wasn't cheap ($450 for everything, I believe lowering alone is $250) but it was well worth the money. I am extremely pleased with the result. If you are frustrated with the height it is well worth looking into.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.