neutral safety switch

10 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted June 03, 2004 - 03:32 PM

i recall reading something about bypassing the neutral switch to ease starting,so i thought ya maybe you got a little more juice to the ignition this way? then it dawned on me that when stuck and stalled where pushing is tough this mod would allow one to push the magic button with the bike in 1st gear(with the kill switch depressed of course!)and e-motor on out! think it would work? maybe its already been done?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 03, 2004 - 03:41 PM

I cut my sky blue wire that goes to the CDI unit just like the gray wire mod. Gives more spark for starting. :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted June 03, 2004 - 09:33 PM

It also changes the rev limiter when you are on neutral to about 7000 rpm, so be careful when you remove it not to rev the engine in neutral.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:26 AM

would just crossing over the wires at the n. safety connector do the same thing or is cutting the sky blue wire the only way? and what exactly does cutting the wire do? same on 04? thanx

• wrooster

Posted June 06, 2004 - 07:40 AM

http://www.thumperfa...m/blue_wire.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted June 08, 2004 - 07:23 AM

I think this is one mod that should not be done. :thumbsup: The purpose of the Neutral Safety Switch is to protect the Starter and from over-revving in neutral. Pulling in the Clutch is a minor inconvenience compared to blowing an engine or a starter. :awww:

• ogrebelle

Posted June 08, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Please, please, please don't punish your starter like that! I would forget that idea immediately. Ick, I'm nauseous just thinking about it.
Doug

• ncmountainman

Posted June 08, 2004 - 07:40 AM

seriously thinkin of taking the starter and anything to do with it off! its about the most poorly designed setup i've seen! why carry around 10lbs of crap if you don't have to! and as far as the rev limiter it still works at the max rpm setting(whatever that is 11500 ?)

• 71ossa175

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Does anyone make a block off to get rid of the neutral safety switch? Mine took a hit and is broken and leaking oil. If I do way with all of it what will happen other than the starter will engage in all gears with the clutch out? I always start with the clutch disengaged anyhow.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 02:14 PM

I have a zip ty block off for my neutral switch at the engine. Only thing is it came in anodized red only when I got it. Now you can get blue! Lets you pull the wiring and switch out. :banghead:
But now they sell them in both colors! Link

http://www.ziptyraci...7&CategoryID=95

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted October 31, 2005 - 02:40 PM

I think this is one mod that should not be done. :busted: The purpose of the Neutral Safety Switch is to protect the Starter and from over-revving in neutral. Pulling in the Clutch is a minor inconvenience compared to blowing an engine or a starter. :busted:

If this is true then why does the 426 have the same wire when it has no e-start? If someone is lame enough to over rev their bike in neutral then :banghead: No piston engine should be revved up to high without a load on the engine :lol: Also, I've read that the wire only decreases the voltage to the coil after 2000 RPMs.....who the heck can get the engine spinning that fast when starting it :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.