Hot start plunger...why?

3 replies to this topic
  • JSTheJack

Posted June 17, 2002 - 06:52 AM

Just got through reading a post about a rider having trouble starting his new bike after stalling it. Until, yesterday, I hadn't killed the bike after a fun like gettin' dragged. Anyhow, I stalled it yesterday. And, it was not too fun re-starting.

My review of the hot start plunger in the manual says it's a fuel enrichener. What? Why not use the choke then. I figured the hot starter was for allowing more air into the carb when the bike's hot. So, what's the hot start plunger really do? More fuel or more air? And, why does Ferry's bike fire up right away? What to do, what to do?

• guidster

Posted June 17, 2002 - 08:02 AM

Exact opposite--given that the engine is hot, the hot start circuit allows more air in, which leans out the mixture. Also, never give it any fuel when attempting a restart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted June 17, 2002 - 10:46 AM

What he said.

I've found that I rarely use the hot start unless I really bungle it and was twisting the throttle at the same time. I also run my bike a little lean - so there is slight popping on decel.

I would guess that Ferry's bike is pretty lean in the pilot as well since that will also get the snappiest throttle response - and best hot starting!

• redhead1331

Posted June 17, 2002 - 12:26 PM

choke makes it richer for cold starting and hot start makes it leaner for starting a hot engine.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.