33 replies to this topic
  • newto2wheels

Posted June 17, 2002 - 12:40 PM

Lugnut, just pull the clutch side cover off and check the clutch basket and plates. If your clutch looks good then it most likely is the transmission, and since your year raptors have a history of tranny problems, checking the clutch first would be the obvious thing to do before you pull the engine and split the cases. Try the simple stuff first. If your not mechanically inclined, then take it to your dealer and let them rape you for the labor and parts. I used to race quads and a friend at work has a Raptor also, but no problems on his quad so far. Now, for the hazing. You do come to TT for info on your 426 so you should know that posting a quad question in a bike forum, your going to get harrassed, but none of it is personal, so don't take it that way. Unless they PM you, then it's probably personal, but it's kept out of the group discussion so we don't have to hear about it. Good luck fixing your quad.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 17, 2002 - 01:28 PM

Lugnut, quads are for girls and farms. To impress anybody on this site with a quad, youd have to have a scantilly clad woman on it, on a farm. Sorry, its just the way it is. I bought a raptor for hauling the ice chest around. Great farm tool.

Ive heard this story before about the transmissions. A friend of mine bought a 350 Warrior. Pile o'crap. The thing just about killed him twice jumping out of gear during a hil climb. The main problem with quads are they have way too many wheels. 50% to be exact.

• LugNut

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:16 AM

lemme haze myself suck all ass and so does your pathetic craptor with two too many wheels and your ugly and your mom is a ho and you ride around in a golf cart and you don't act like a wannabe motocrosser and have things that describe how fast you are in your profile and so on....Oh yeah this gets even better I went out in my garage to start my 426 up to make myself feel better that at least one of my toys was working...3 kicks and kaput I lost all compression and somthin is clankin in inside the clutch cover.Mind you all I did this at Budds Creek on Pro nationals day last saturday in the hare scrambles.I did the first Hare scramble on my bike for two hrs. and then jumped on my quad to do the other back to back...well the quad went on me in the first lap so i had to "lug" that beast out of two miles deep of hills and streams ugggg what a day! Now only to find out I blew up both bike in one day.Maybe it was the mud .Oh well I did get third in C (spode )class ;-).I can hear the dealer ringin the cash register now...cha ching..cha ching...keep on ridin like that spode boy.

• thumper4life

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:24 AM

your hurting me on the inside here man, please, stop using the clutch on your HUGE thumpers! :D The only time I used the clutch on my raptor was taking off in first gear, I didn't use it to up shift or downshift, i only let go of the gas all the way, shift, and then get back on the gas. i NEVER had any trans problems. and also on the 426, the same goes for that, you dont need the clutch on them except for takin off

Clutch use is clutch abuse. :)

Oh, and change the oil frequently, you knew that already though. :D

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: thumper4life ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:42 AM

Ok enough is enough

LugNut, I sent you a reply to your PM, I don’t know squat on Quads, Frankly I don’t care if you have a quad or not, unless your name is Ahmad, welcome to TT. I can’t vouch for the characters here but these guys are pretty serious and very "temper mental" when it comes to Quad questions.

My suggestion is to take it in stride
And oh ya dump the Quad :)

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Bambislayer

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:50 AM

Yeah what he said. Cut him some slack. We all know quads can be fun to ride, kind of like fat chicks. That is of course until your friends see you!

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• LugNut

Posted June 18, 2002 - 06:29 AM

good advice on the clutch...I only started riding about a year and a half ago at 31 yrs old,and I'm learning slowly that...first,I'm a total spode that uses the clutch too much..second I'm a total spode that uses the throttle to much..third ,I'm a total spode that love riding on two wheels or four as long as I'm riding,and lastly you guys are fun to talk to.By the way Bubba Stewart makes us all look stupid(Pro Nationals dialed in like a mofo).

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: LugNut ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • acarter920

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:20 AM

Originally posted by LugNut:
I can take the flaming just don't get the quad vs. bike stuff? It all seems a little childish to me .I do try my best to be cordial when communicating on the computer for the sole reason that the guy on the other end does'nt have the ability to smash me in the face if I started gettin lippy.Always are gonna be those spineless weasels that hide behind their keyboard and talk smack ,lashing out at the world that rejects them ,they usually keep their head down and their tail between their legs when having to have face to face interaction with someone in person.Hence the "virtual tough guy" Even so I do feel that I got some helpful feedback so go ahead and flame away if it makes you feel better .In closing I wish everyone well and I appreciate again all the constuctive advice.

What the!? Where did anyone flame quads? I just asked if there was a chain on the quad, just a little joke. Nothing implied at all... sorry if i offended you, but loosen up a little. Last time i checked, both quads and dirtbikes had chains. Nothing was implied though, i love anything with wheels and a motor.

And if you think that was a bad flame by a "virtual tough guy" that hides behind his keyboard, then I think you are going to get offended easily on this board. A guy in here the other day started a whole thread on flaming quads. Now THAT, is a bad thing.

As for some constructive advice... i agree with everyone else, look at the clutch for sure. Start with the cable and make sure that's adjusted properly. Then look at the clutch itself. If that isn't the culprit, then something is wrong in the tranny.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: acarter920 ]

• acarter920

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:25 AM

double thread...

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: acarter920 ]

• LugNut

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:35 AM

I go on record here to say I was a bit sensitive yesterday due to having both my toys break on me in one day. :)

• thumper4life

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:41 AM

yeah that would kinda suck :)

• acarter920

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I agree also... that would suck. My rear wheel just grenaded on my 426, so i kinda know how you feel. Good luck with everything though.

• therapture

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
Yeah what he said. Cut him some slack. We all know quads can be fun to ride, kind of like fat chicks. That is of course until your friends see you!

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

I have ridden some "quads" in my lifetime...have not we all!?? DOH! Did I say that???
:) :D :D

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 18, 2002 - 09:32 PM

I hate it when ya blow up all the toys at once. One weekend at glamis, I grenaded the CR500, my wifes 250atc, my buddies quadzilla and the buggy. The buggy was bad. Parts flyin all over the place. At least it was the last day. Yep, all in one day.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.