chain rattling?

5 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 03:05 PM

does anyone here experience a ratteling noise fromt he front sprocket area under hard acceleration from an idle when in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear? it only lasts untill the engine is up to about 4500rpms or so, and im pretty sure its the chain ratteling ont he fornt sprocket due to the engines "every other" firing pattern. anyone have any comments to add to this? my friends 250f does the same thing pretty much. just wanted to see what some more experienced yzf pilots had to say.

• motoman393

Posted June 16, 2002 - 03:16 PM

Check this out: Many people have had this problem and it solved it. Every time a YZ comes into the shop for service where I work, I always notice the chain slap during the test ride. The problem is that the chain slider isnt fastened down enough and it slaps the swingarm. Later,

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:39 PM

hey motoman, thanks alot, ill try that out and see if it helps. I heard the chain sliders wear prematurely, but i wasnt aware of the problem you just showed me. It doesnt sound like that would be the problem in my case, but its def. worth a shot, thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted June 17, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Could be a little "TO" loose on the chain tension.... I know were are to run a bit loose, and have on mine since I've owned it. But, a little extra tension on my chain got rid of the worst clatter..... still makes noise though.....

Dodger :D :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 17, 2002 - 01:39 PM

Vanilla Ive got a six pack of your favorite barley pop if what your hearing isnt chain slap. If your chain slider isnt too bad, take it off and glue it to the swing arm with GOOP. You can get GOOP at Home Depot or AutoZone. The Auto and Marine stuff is the same. I did this and it took 90% of noise out of the chain slap. If your chain slider is tanked, get a TM design works piece. It pricey but you'll probably never wear it out. I bonded mine down with Goop and its quiet as a mouse.

• Forrest_Thump

Posted June 17, 2002 - 02:03 PM

I was about to post a question about sliders myself. I have gone through several, the latest was made by UFO and it SUX. Doesn't fit well and is wearing fast. I can't remember where I got the last 2 sliders (Moose?), but they lasted quite a while for about half of what the stocker costs. I'm not familiar with the TM slider. Is there a website for them??

Also, I don't notice much noise from my chain (o-ring), but I have noticed that the most wear on the slider is on the front bottom of the swingarm. It will rub a hole there and start eating at the swingarm before it will anywhere else and it's hard to spot. That could be noisy! Good idea about the goop. Any other aftermarket sliders?

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.