Cleaning mistake

4 replies to this topic
  • SMP

Posted June 16, 2002 - 11:54 AM

My friend suggested this degreaser in a purple spray bottle called "Castrol Super Clean", so since I was out of Simple Green, I went ahead and tried his. Well after it stained all of the aluminum on my bike (kinda white like hard water), I read the bottle and it said avoid prolonged contact with aluminum.

I am pretty sure I can polish out most of it, but my question is...how to clean the upper fork tubes? They are not a smooth surface and polish does not look like it will work.

• John_B

Posted June 16, 2002 - 12:19 PM

Great question. I did the same thing a few weeks back. The 'whitish' color has faded, but not sure what to use either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RSA210

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:17 PM

That stuff is down right caustic!!It has removed the anodizing on your fork tubes.I know I did the same thing a few years back,the damage is done sorry man!!! That really sucks. :D :)

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:29 PM

steel wool and wd-40, scrub WITH the ridges

• Ranger_426F

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:51 PM

I use Maguires aluminum rim cleaner for everything else aluminum on my bike, it works great. I have to admit though I have never sprayed it on my forks but like I said works good on all other aluminum on the bike should work for that too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.