Baja Designs Electric Starter Kit - pictures of progress

14 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:05 AM

Baja Designs will not actually receive my flywheel or stator until June 3 according to UPS tracking. They promised me they will get right on it and the turn around should be quick. I expect to have it totally installed by the 11th of June.

Below are pictures of the parts I have installed. I'm now ready for Baja Designs to get my modified parts back to me.
Don't let all the dangling wires bother you. The kit instruction are detailed in routing and securing the wiring. I just can't go any further until I get the other parts back.

The First picture is of the Battery, CDI, AC Voltage Regulator and the Rectifier/Regulator. All installed on the top of the air-box. It's a tight fit but everything is there.
Posted Image

Next is a picture of the Starter Solenoid. Its sitting right under the Edelbrock carb bowl.

Posted Image

And finally next to my throttle is a new E-button. How do you like my trick speedometer?

Posted Image

• MotorPsychoSport

Posted June 02, 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi all,

Long time TT reader, new member & first time poster. I received my electric start kit for my BRP a couple of weeks ago. Baja Designs was very cool about calling me and keeping me updated as to when the kit would be shipped to me. I easily got the entire kit installed but was delayed because someone at Baja Designs choose the wrong magneto puller that is included in the kit. When I called them they appologised and sent out the right one, which is a 20mm dia, 1.5 thread, part # MP#9 from DS Sales.

The only problem with my installation was that the magneto needed to be heated a great deal for the puller to break it free from the crank shaft. Other than that the kit went on very nicely. When I went to test it out and pushed the magic button I was thrilled to hear the starter turn the motor over. However that bit of excitement was short lived because the battery ran down very quickly. I found out that this was due to 2 reasons.

1st, the battery I got, and perhaps the first few E-start customers that Baja Designs shipped the kit to, had been sitting on the shelf at Baja Designs for a few months prior to shippment. Now they say in the instructions that this type of battery must not be left to sit for more than few days with out the battery tender to maintain it, thats why the tender is included in the kit. This being the case, they are going to ship me a totally fresh battery to fix the problem.

2nd, As most of you know the BRP stock cam shaft has a built in decompression mechanisim to aid in starting. If any one has a HRC profile cam from Hot Cams like me then you know that the decompressor mechanisim is not transfered to the aftermarket cam. So instead of 2 full revolutions of the engine with the auto de-comp my BRP finds the compression stroke after 1 full revolution. After giving the original battery a long charge I found that if I hold the de-comp lever in while I use the electric starter and then let it go while it's turning over it helps in starting the bike. But I am told by BD that the fresh battery will have no problem cranking the bike no matter what cam is in it.

Jeff

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 02, 2004 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the information. I received my kit about 2 weeks ago and I wondered about the battery sitting while I was waiting for the rest of the kit. So I put mine on the charger today. The charger turned green immediately which means the battery was at full charge.

I too have the hotcam in mine so it will be interesting to see how that effects it. I will leave it on the charger until I receive the rest of my parts from Baja Designs next week.

I did not have to heat my flywheel to get it off. I put some nylon rope down the spark plug hole and turn the crank over till the piston hit the rope. It was pretty easy to break it loose with the tool at that point. I've used this method of taking off and torqueing the crank on my 2 strokes for years. :thumbsup:

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 02, 2004 - 04:57 PM

Old_Man_Time

Did you hit 160 anytime during those 39 miles :awww: Keep the photos and the story coming. Can't wait to tune into next weeks episode :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 02, 2004 - 05:24 PM

Old_Man_Time

Did you hit 160 anytime during those 39 miles :awww: Keep the photos and the story coming. Can't wait to tune into next weeks episode :thumbsup:

That is a very interesting question. Not yet, I have not got my Nitrous Oxide canister installed yet. Soon to find out in the future. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

I find the 160 mph a goal that will never be met. Since the best the pros got out of a fairly stock 650 with power up kit and proper gearing was 125 mph on a flat lake bed. I myself would not go much past 90 before I backed off. Those 39 miles were trail miles in the Wenatchee National Forest. I may of hit 50 mph down a logging road to get to another trail head.

• qadsan

Posted June 02, 2004 - 05:33 PM

When reviewing a route on my GPS from riding my 650r, it showed that I was traveling at 168 MPH at one point :awww:

I guess multipath errors don't count :thumbsup:

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 02, 2004 - 05:39 PM

All I know is that small usually harmless bugs turn into lethal weapons much past 65 so that tends to be my upper limit :thumbsup: I thought I got shot the other day but it turned out to be a junebug :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted June 02, 2004 - 05:39 PM

When reviewing a route on my GPS from riding my 650r, it showed that I was traveling at 168 MPH at one point :lol:

I guess multipath errors don't count :thumbsup:

Did you hit that speed at a switch back? :awww: :lol: :lol:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 03, 2004 - 08:25 PM

MotorPsychoSport,
I called Baja Designs today (6/3/04) because I know they received my parts this morning. I wanted to see when I could expect them back. They told me my flywheel was already done the ring gear was pressed on and my stator should be rewound and sent out on Monday which means I will receive it on Thursday so I will be testing my new E-Button on Saturday (6/12/04). Either at Taneum or the Green Dots.

I mentioned the problems you had and he acknowledged that to be the case but that they really are not sure at this point what the cause may be. He also said that he felt they should have made it a requirement to have the stators rewound so the battery would have its own charging circuit. I concur with this because of the problems I found my KTM 525EXC had in keeping the battery charged when I ran the stock headlight. I finally had to rewire my stator and set it up for straight DC to get things working right.

He pointed out that the battery has tremendous cranking power but not a long cranking time. We talked a bit about future possibilities but for the most part he said this system does work reliably. And they are going to take care of us just as they did you by sending a new battery.

By the way is your stator rewound and are you dual sported? I am not dual sported cause Washington will not allow that anymore. If your running the stator stock you may have difficulty keeping the battery charged unless you ride fast desert. The stators output is in proportion to the speed of the bike.

• heliosstudios

Posted June 04, 2004 - 04:55 AM

Is that black pack really a "battery," or is it a bank of capacitor cells?

• MorrisWR

Posted June 04, 2004 - 06:40 AM

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
Old_Man_TimeThose 39 miles were trail miles in the Wenatchee National Forest. I may of hit 50 mph down a logging road to get to another trail head.

[/QUOTE]

I ride Tahuya (near Belfair) a lot since I'm close to Seattle. How is the riding up in Wenatchee? Any info on WA riding locations you could give? Not a lot around our area that you can still ride. I thought I'd have to make a trip to Idaho to get in some different riding.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 04, 2004 - 06:50 AM

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
Old_Man_TimeThose 39 miles were trail miles in the Wenatchee National Forest. I may of hit 50 mph down a logging road to get to another trail head.

[/QUOTE]

I ride Tahuya (near Belfair) a lot since I'm close to Seattle. How is the riding up in Wenatchee? Any info on WA riding locations you could give? Not a lot around our area that you can still ride. I thought I'd have to make a trip to Idaho to get in some different riding.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you live in a state loaded with riding areas in Eastern Washington. There is Lake Wenatchee/Entiat, Devils Gulch/Mission Ridge, Taneum/Naches, Green Dot road system with over 300 miles of dirt roads which do not require a plate, Mattawah,MosesLake sand dunes, Juniper sand dunes, Beverly sand dunes and many areas I have not rode.

Is this paradise or what? :thumbsup:

• MotorPsychoSport

Posted June 04, 2004 - 01:07 PM

OMT,

My stator is rewound and dual sported. I just got my new battery today and will be putting it in tonight and testing the bike out on Sunday. I'll give a report next week.

Jeff

• tzsr1

Posted June 05, 2004 - 10:52 PM

Took a look at Baja Designs site and couldn't find the Electric Starter Kit. Old_Man_Time or MotorPsychoSport - how much was it? Very interested. Thanks!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 06, 2004 - 02:47 AM

Took a look at Baja Designs site and couldn't find the Electric Starter Kit. Old_Man_Time or MotorPsychoSport - how much was it? Very interested. Thanks!

I don't have my receipt right in front of me but it is $875.00 shipping not included, if I remember right. If you have Baja Designs rewind your stator thats another $120.00. No it's not listed online. In fact the only way I knew they were working on it was it was listed in their catalog as a future work a couple of years ago. So I called on it and got my name put on a list.
Call them, they will give you all the details.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.