WR450 shock bolt


7 replies to this topic
  • ebz06

Posted June 02, 2004 - 08:02 AM

#1

Anyone had any problems with the lower shock bolt and nut that connects to the linkage? Tore my swingarm and linkage apart to grease up real good, and when torqueing down the shock bolt to 38 ft-lbs like the manual says, I striped it. Happened to anyone else?? Going to go ahead and get a 13 tooth front spocket while at the shop. Would like to creep in the tight stuff a little better.

  • Rcsnowb

Posted June 02, 2004 - 08:28 AM

#2

I haven't had any problems with the shock bolt but I have stripped several other bolts while torqueing them down to the torque specified in the owners manual. I don't trust the manual anymore. I usually go by feel now and put lock tight on them and I haven't had any more problems.

  • sabin

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:37 AM

#3

I stripped mine on my old 426 also. Keep in mind that the manual states torque values about clean/dry bolt, not lubed. When you lube a bolt the torque value is almost triple!

  • hsstar

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:44 AM

#4

If your torque wrench cost less than $150 it is most likely not very accurate. If it is a craftsman it is definately not accurate under 100lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rcsnowb

Posted June 02, 2004 - 03:57 PM

#5

Mine was closer to $200 but don't remember the name right now. Not Craftsman though. I know it is acurrate, it was brand new at the time and I had it checked the next day to make sure it was working properly and everything was fine.

  • The_Missile

Posted June 02, 2004 - 11:11 PM

#6

I stripped the thread on the very lowest part of the linkage of the rear shock (doing by feel and having just done the swingarm bolts which were way higher torque...dohhh), I think its the one that holds the shock to the linkages and I think the same one as you did. Anyway I was racing the next day and ordering the part was no question so I found myself a bolt slightly longer than needed and ground a nut down to about 2/3'rds the size/profile. The objective to pass the bolt through the stripped portion and then get the nut down to a size to pass in between the linkage arms (normally no nut/bolt there). Anyhow, with a bit of fiddling I got the right size and it fits perfect. I was able to torque it to the correct level and, using blue loctite on it, it has held for 2 years now. Probably not ideal but I check it often and its holding up.

  • sabin

Posted June 03, 2004 - 06:55 AM

#7

I did the same thing as The_Missle. No problem for 2years now. BTW the original yamaha part costs a fortune :thumbsup:

  • ebz06

Posted June 03, 2004 - 01:44 PM

#8

I stripped mine on my old 426 also. Keep in mind that the manual states torque values about clean/dry bolt, not lubed. When you lube a bolt the torque value is almost triple!


Maybe that is what did it. It did have grease on it. :thumbsup:




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.