Changing Fork Oil

13 replies to this topic
  • SteadyEddy

Posted June 02, 2004 - 01:09 AM

Hey all,

I just checked my valve clearances and there spot on with 800km's on it :awww:
I was a bit worried about doing it, but that was easy, have to wait and see what its like to change them.
Any way's, im pretty excited :thumbsup: about doing the maintenence my self and was wondering if there is any sites/pics of how to change the fork oil? and how often do you think its nessary to change?
:lol:

• sabin

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:53 AM

It depends how hard you ride. Do you jump a lot? If yes maybe 30-40h if not 1-3 times per season...

Instruction in the shop/service manual is preaty good!

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:53 AM

Eddy,

The procedure is in the manual... and the first fork oil change should be at the dealer, when they are putting the bike together out of the crate... :awww: but they never do... :thumbsup:

David

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 02, 2004 - 11:49 AM

hmmm,
I dought the guy that I bought it of had done it so I think I might tackle it this weekend.
Thanks again
:thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted June 02, 2004 - 03:38 PM

Get a manual if you dont have one allready.

I tried to just dump the oil out and refill with new. It did virtually nothing on my YZ. Despite pumping the fork, at least a third of the oil was left inside.

Take the time to open the fork and clean it out. It is not too difficult.

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 02, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Take the time to open the fork and clean it out. It is not too difficult.

Flush the inside with kerosene... that is the best for this situation... :thumbsup:

David

• tcmII

Posted June 02, 2004 - 05:11 PM

Make sure that you get a thin 17mm open end wrench before you start. You will need the wrench to separate the fork rod from the fork cap. I borrowed :awww: a no brand wrench from my neighbor. I think he's figured out that he'll never see it again. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted June 02, 2004 - 09:16 PM

David,

I read somewhere that it is not advisable to fluch the forks with anything else than fork oil. As part of it stays in the forks and spoils the oil quality.

Sabin

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 02, 2004 - 09:30 PM

Sabin,

true if you are doing just an oil change, but if you have the tubes off, and are replacing valves etc, then kerosene is able to act as a solvent to flush the oil, to rinse out particles, and to not affect the seals...

Not sure how Eddy is going to do his, but yes, a timely reminder to be careful... :thumbsup:

David

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:04 PM

Yer I was just looking at the manual, looks tricky :thumbsup:
But I think i can do it, Ill just empty all the oil and replace with their recomended oil, I think it said suspension oil "01"

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:19 PM

Eddy, you will find various weights of oil for the forks... like 5 or 10 weight... you can mix them to give you an intermediate grade like 7.5 or such... the lower the number, the thinner the oil, and the more easily it will flow through the valves... I like the Shell synthetic stuff, but any brand will do...

Don't be surprised when nasty stuff comes out... the crap they put in at the factory shouldn't be allowed... :thumbsup: but it will make a huge difference once you get some fresh clean oil in there...

Cheers,

David

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 03, 2004 - 01:43 AM

Thanks David,
What mix are you running? I weigh about 110Kg's not into doing big jumps but cant say I wouldn't like to do them either once i get a bit more confident with the little ones :awww:
Also your links in your Signature don't work :thumbsup:

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 03, 2004 - 03:35 AM

Thanks David,
What mix are you running? I weigh about 110Kg's not into doing big jumps but cant say I wouldn't like to do them either once i get a bit more confident with the little ones :lol:
Also your links in your Signature don't work :lol:

I am running probably 7 or 8 weight... I am about your size, so a respring in the rear and a tweak up the front was about it... I should do the springs and such in the forks, but the money tree isn't bearing any fruit at the moment... :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up on the links... Damn case-sensitive servers paths... :thumbsup: :awww:

David

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 03, 2004 - 11:38 AM

Cool,
thanks again for everyone's help
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.