another jetting problem HELP!!

6 replies to this topic
  • YamahaYz450F

Posted June 01, 2004 - 02:37 PM

I recentally put a pipe on my yz400f and i put a 45 pilot jet in like it said but the bike still backfires in the low rpm range and also when I rev the bike up. if there is somehting i can do to make this stop let me know. thanks

• Fastest1

Posted June 01, 2004 - 06:04 PM

Did you use a new crush washer in the exhaust? It sounds like a leak at the exhaust where it meets the head. Have you adjusted your fuel screw out?

• YamahaYz450F

Posted June 03, 2004 - 08:57 AM

Hey no I didn't put a new crush washer in. can I buy one at a dealer? and also by accident i turend the fuel screw but i put it back at what I was told was factory 1& 3/8 turns out. if thes wrong let me know. the bike is also running rich. if you can help me that would be great.. thanks matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vet28

Posted June 04, 2004 - 07:50 AM

allow me...ride below 1/2 throttle, but at a constant speed...like down a road somewhere. if it's smooth and not jerky your pilot is OK...so long as there are no other problems. do the same above 1/2...and check main. I put on my Jardine system, had the same problem as you and ended up at 48 PJ and 172/175 main. now, all is well.

vet28 :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted June 04, 2004 - 03:21 PM

Yes the crush washers are available at the dealer. Always tinker with the fuel screw regardless of the "stock" setting. That is merely a baseline. Where is it running rich? and why do you think it is rich? Smell? Performance? Plug? Exhaust?

• YamahaYz450F

Posted June 07, 2004 - 03:22 PM

When i ride below half throttle the bike is jerkey and not smooth..what should I do in this case. and i also know its running rich because of the color of the plug. i have the sock pilot in the bike still. the reason i think its running rich off the bottom is because when i rev the bike it will blow flames out the exhaust. if you know what to do to fix this let me know
thanks
matt

• Fastest1

Posted June 07, 2004 - 04:56 PM

It is blowing flames on the stand with no load right? I would say drop the needle 1 notch or leave the needle alone and go down 1 main size. This is only if it does the flaming while riding. If it is just on the stand forget it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.