Tim Ferry's Factory Bike is a 3-Speed...

9 replies to this topic
  • PJ

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:06 PM

C'mon, don't you guys know that?

This is a motocross bike; Yamaha gave you a bonus gear compared to Ferry's bike.

Tim Ferry is a baaaaad man on the track, 3-speed and all!

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:14 PM

I thought that was only for SX.....

• PJ

Posted June 15, 2002 - 12:53 AM

No, that's not a special supercross setup gearbox-wise.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 15, 2002 - 03:39 AM

In MXA April 02 issue, they get a hold of Ferry’s bike. He has only four gears fifth is fake due to AMA rules. This means that Yamaha has been using these gearbox’s for probably two years in the works bikes in Euro and in America. Ferry on uses 2nd and 3rd gears in the Article and only 3rd if he is on an outdoor track.

Geez I guess that Blows Yz-N-Vegas's support for Ferry for President :)
That dirty Yammie rider uses a four speed what’s worse he only uses two gears them Bas&^&^ards

Get over it enough of this 4 speed debate, Lets raz the CRF board just becouse we can

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• PJ

Posted June 15, 2002 - 04:30 AM

Hey Ego,

According to page 38 of the April '02 MXA, they state specifically that it's a blocked off 3-speed tranmission.

therapture,

Check out page 40 of said magazine, and you'll see that it's not a supercross only setting. They go on to state that outdoors, they throw on a smaller rear sprocket.

And finally, check out Dirt Bike May '02 on page 51. You'll see again that it's a 3-speed tranny.

BTW, I like reading both of your posts as usually you guys are spot-on and don't try sound like you know something when you don't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fireballsocal

Posted June 15, 2002 - 08:10 PM

Originally posted by EgoAhole:

Get over it enough of this 4 speed debate, Lets raz the CRF board just becouse we can
[/QB]

Posted Image
LOL

• therapture

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:04 AM

Cool...just a sprocket change. Must be a very versatile tranny.

I think the 4 speed will rock in MX. There are lots of times I find myself in a situation of either making 3rd scream to the rev limiter OR shifting to 4th. If I had just a bit more pull in 3rd I could save some time as there is really not enough justification to grab 4th because the braking point is right after shifting. Changing rear sprockets down is not an option because then it hurts the pull in 3rd on some hills we have with doubles up them. With a 4 speed tranny and a longer stroke motor, I think it wil have a wider spread between shift points, and that is a GoodThing® :)

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 03:02 PM

yeah, i also read that is is a 3 speed with 4th and 5th speeds made of plastic gearsets that are locked out by a special shift drum. ferry uses the same 3 speed gearbox in SX and MX, only regears the sprockets for certain tracks.

• motoman393

Posted June 16, 2002 - 03:24 PM

I agree with therapture on the 4 speed tranny (I love the 520's 4 spd gearbox, but I dont care for the frame characteristics) and I only can imagine it on a YZ450, I guess I have to wait 2 more months til the 1st one gets to my dealership.

BTW I am coming up to VP cycle ranch next weekend for the 1st time. I will probably leave Sat night after work, I have a friend that lives in Austin and we can drive down Sunday morning and ride. Hopefully they will be open next weekend? Let me know at motoman393@hotmail.com I would like to hook up with some of the central TX guys and ride. Later,

Garrett

• therapture

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:55 PM

Originally posted by motoman393:

BTW I am coming up to VP cycle ranch next weekend for the 1st time. I will probably leave Sat night after work, I have a friend that lives in Austin and we can drive down Sunday morning and ride. Hopefully they will be open next weekend? Let me know at motoman393@hotmail.com I would like to hook up with some of the central TX guys and ride. Later,

Garrett

Yeah they will be open. We normally ride on Saturdays but if you are going for sure I think I can get the gang to hit it on Sunday instead, or I might just go both days! You will love the track I am sure, make sure you got a good knobbie because the traction is primo! Stay in touch with me at raptur@cox-internet.com and we will make some plans to hook up! Cya!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.