Titanium subframe worthwhile?

9 replies to this topic
  • Joko

Posted June 23, 2002 - 02:51 AM

Has anyone bought a Ti subframe from Yamaha?
What is the actual weight savings? Does the titanium framework absorb any vibration? How's the fit & quality? Are there any other sources to buy from than Yamaha? Thanks.

• 426guy

Posted June 23, 2002 - 05:09 AM

the stock aluminum sub-frame is lighter then a Ti.
but the Ti. is a bunch stronger..
so if you crash alot and bend the stock one.. i would by ti..

• Joko

Posted June 23, 2002 - 05:47 AM

Yamaha of Troy sells them for $390, claims the weight savings is over 1 lb?

• d5hystat

Posted June 23, 2002 - 01:43 PM

I have one for sale if you want one. the weight savings I am not sure about, but it is way cool. the fit is good , the welds are very nice. the only bad thing is to much of it gets covered. I payed over $400 for it and thought that was a deal. I'd sell it for $300, not bent, never been bent.

• Joko

Posted June 23, 2002 - 03:22 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "the only bad thing is too much of it gets covered"?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted June 24, 2002 - 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Joko:
I'm not sure what you mean by "the only bad thing is too much of it gets covered"?

I think what he meant is that once you put the seat back on and the side panels the frame is pretty much covered up.

• Joko

Posted June 24, 2002 - 03:57 PM

I guess not too many Titanium subframes have been bought?

• DaveJ

Posted June 25, 2002 - 06:53 AM

About two months ago there was a ti-sub frame business for sale on E-Bay. Mostly Yamaha. Included all the fixtures, measuring tools and many componets.

As for the on-going arguement over weight and speed and the alternatives....I support anything that keeps the brain functioning.

Riding all day is great, but when you have new stuff to test and play with, it's even better!!

• Joko

Posted June 25, 2002 - 11:07 AM

Any way to retrieve that Ebay info?

• DaveJ

Posted June 25, 2002 - 02:19 PM

Joko - I don't think so. Even my own auctions are erased after about 30 days.

If you were really interested, perhaps you could write or call EBay and see what they could do.

I think the guy was asking about $12k for it, and I think he was in So. Cal somewhere.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.