Getting Valves done......

13 replies to this topic
  • Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 04:30 AM

Can anyone recomend a good place to get valves adjusted here in SoCal? Thanks.

• TimBrp

Posted June 01, 2004 - 04:45 AM

For your 650? or another vehicle?

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 07:40 AM

for my 650 and the wifes xr400. I need to find someplace other than Barnums.

• MotoChris521

Posted June 01, 2004 - 09:45 AM

Anyone man enough to ride a 5 hunny bess be adjustin' his own vavles.! :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:05 AM

10-4 on that. Pig that's an easy job. Why pay? You got a manual? I do mine every 1000miles and it's a breeze on the 650. Only thing that might make it hard on the 400 is the oil. However, both have the necessary site holes.

• jws

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:28 AM

try this.............

http://www.off-road..../XR650ValveAdj/

jeff :thumbsup:

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:40 AM

I actually have an offer from a great guy who is going to teach me to do them myself, which is what I prefer anyways, just never done it. 2 stroke is one thing, but I don't have a clue what the top end of a 4 stroke looks like............looks like schools in session.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:45 AM

I got a name you DON'T want to use... :thumbsup: ...he's local in S.D. :awww:

I too am (or was) a tad scuuurred... but will do my own next time. And my own tear down and rebuild too. I just learned too much to not do it myself. Check Ebay for the FULL service manual, I paid $15 for each one of my bikes.

Now... go sell that 5hun... and buy a CRF450... I did. :lol:

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:58 AM

sell the 500hun for a 450..........never, the only thing the 450 has on the 5hundy is............damn, I can't think of anything :thumbsup: Something about big bore 2 stroke power that can't be matched............

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 01, 2004 - 11:09 AM

I hear ya...
Just a 5hun idling is something to be scared of.... that.. "doong, dooong, dong, doong..." :awww:

But seriously... I sold my STREET LEGAL 5hun for a 450... never looked back. Except for those hilarious times when cops would look at me. Usually perplexed. Like a dog when it hears an unfamiliar sound! :thumbsup:

Ever read up on that 700cc 2stroker???
Be scuuurrreeddd... vawry scurrrrreeed.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/atk700/

Posted Image

OR... here's my old "streetable" 5hundy!!!
Posted Image

• heliosstudios

Posted June 01, 2004 - 06:48 PM

Tim, you redo your top end every 1000 miles??? :thumbsup:

Was reading on http://www.rtw101.com/ where they just recently got around to changing the oil on their KLR's... after 16,000 miles!!! :awww: :lol: :lol:

• TimBrp

Posted June 02, 2004 - 01:27 AM

No I adjust my valves every 1000 miles. Where'd a topend come from?

• heliosstudios

Posted June 02, 2004 - 02:50 AM

Oh, I musta got confused with another thread about valve grinding, sorry for the confusion.

Along the same lines of redoing the valves, I saw a neat way to grind valve lips and seats on an auto performance show. They took the head and valve springs off, lifted the valves up a little, put some abrasive paste on the seats and set the valves back down. Then they stuck a suction-cup on the valve head. This then had a foot-long shaft on it, which you could twist between your palms or hook to a drill, spinning the valve in its guide. The abrasive action cuts new mating surfaces for the valves and seats without complicated tools. :thumbsup:

• MotoChris521

Posted June 03, 2004 - 03:34 AM

Umm. that's called lapping ,not grinding . :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.