metal flakes in oil?

8 replies to this topic
  • JMC

Posted May 31, 2004 - 04:32 PM

NEW TO A 99 YZ400. HOW MUCH METAL "FLAKE" ON THE OIL FILTER IS NORMAL? FIRST THING I DID WAS CHANGE THE OIL WHEN I GOT IT HOME AND FOUND WHAT I WOULD SAY IS QUITE A BIT OF METAL SHAVINGS. SOME WERE DARK (TRANNY?) AND SOME SILVER. I TOOK IT FOR A SHORT RIDE AND CHANGED IT AGAIN. LESS SILVER FALKES AND NO DARK FLAKES BUT I WAS STILL CONCERNED. I JUST WENT FOR A 30 MILE TRAIL RIDE AND WHEN I GOT HOME CHECKED THE OIL FILTER AGAIN. LESS SILVER FLAKES AGAIN BUT STILL NOTICEABLE (AGAIN NONE OF THE DARK METAL CHIPS). SHOULD I BE WORRIED? I HAVE HEARD THIS IS COMMON BUT... HOW MUCH IS A SIGN OF TROUBLE? IF TURNS OUT TO BE A MAJOR CONCERN I WILL SELL AND PICK UP MY NEIGHBORS 95' XR 600. ANY COMMENTS ARE WELCOME! THANKS JMC

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 31, 2004 - 04:41 PM

Get a magnetic drain plug. This will get all the metalic pieces. IF there is a problem, it will look like a porcupine when you remove it.

The silver pieces are usually in my experience the clutch basket wearing. When I replaced the stocker with a Hinson and the steel drive plates with the CryoTreated aluminum, there is NO metal on the magnetic drain plug nor in the filter.

Also get the new 03 filters from like HiFlo. They are cheap at like $3 each and change them often! Cheap insurance for your ride!

• JMC

Posted June 01, 2004 - 02:10 AM

THANKS, SOUNDS LIKE I MAY PASS ON THE XR600 LOL...

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 01, 2004 - 05:04 AM

THANKS, SOUNDS LIKE I MAY PASS ON THE XR600 LOL...

no, that info was not on the xr600. That was my bike about 3 years ago and never changed my nick here.

That was all relevant to my 00 426.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JMC

Posted June 01, 2004 - 02:35 PM

YEAH I UNDERSTAND, I MEANT I'LL KEEP THE YZ AND NOT BUY THE XR600. THANKS.

• YZ426FPilot

Posted June 01, 2004 - 08:50 PM

What Ive noticed from Yamaha cases it that the factory does not spend a whole lot of time finishing the insides. Like completly deburring and polishing the casting flaws out of their cases like Honda does. This can account for some of the floaties you get in the oil. But you need to remember, the clutch basket, hub, pressure plate, & cases are aluminum. A magnetic drain plug wont do much good & gathering those bits up.

• crf450f

Posted June 08, 2004 - 09:38 AM

Metal flakes are normal in the filter, that is what the filter is for. The filter catches the flakes from the cluch before the oil reaches the more persision parts, the piston and rings. Check the cluch plates for wear.

• jerryv13

Posted April 09, 2009 - 08:35 PM

Great info guys, I noticed a bunch of metal flakes in my oil filter too, figured it wasn't a huge deal, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and of course, change your filter every oil change, like Matt said, cheap insurance :thumbsup:

• TIG88

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:12 AM

Long slivers are ok, but little squares or "chunks" of metal idicate bearing failure.

Every bike Ive ever had always had a little metal in the oil filter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.