Weird crash

7 replies to this topic
  • pmh971

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:17 PM

I've crashed quite a few times in my MX career, but nothing as strange as this weekend. I washed out my front tire going into a down hill turn, nothing major, I think I held the front brake a little to long. The bike stalled and I couldnt get it started. It usually takes me 4-6 kicks after a mishap, but after about 20 kicks I was worried. I brought it back to my pit and checked it out and to my amazement the carbuator had come off from the boot. I cant figure out how the hell it happened but it did. The only thing I can think of is, I hit the carb with my knee when I went down. Really weird. Well I put the boot back on and the bike fired on the first kick. So remember to check the clamps on the boot when you are doing your regular maintance.

• bushy

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:39 PM

Same thing happened to me yesterday, but the carb didnt come out all the way. When I got home my dad noticed that the carb on one side had been slid back on the boot, but the outside was still shiny. I guess it must of happend on my last crash that ruined my brake line or it popped out on the trailer. First time ive ever had a carb pop out.

• endurodog

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:47 PM

See if my memorey serves me very well. A few months ago someone saw an article talking about how the factory guys are saftey wiring the carb boot to the carb because this is a known problem. I can't remember all the details, hope someone else can chime in here on it for you guys.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:58 PM

I have seen pictures of pro bikes with the carbs safety wired. Not sure if it's a epidemic problem or not, but when your career depends on you finishing every race then I suppose you try to cover all of the bases.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted May 31, 2004 - 02:34 PM

I have seen pictures of pro bikes with the carbs safety wired. Not sure if it's a epidemic problem or not, but when your career depends on you finishing every race then I suppose you try to cover all of the bases.

]
The factory riders each have a mechanic... now what is that mechanic going to do for 40 hours a week or more... he gets bored, and starts drilling & wiring stuff... not only because rules state it, but because he needs to fill in time... :thumbsup:

David

• bushy

Posted May 31, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Yea, just like when your bored and cant ride for whatever reason. You fix what you need to, or you just start making stuff better. Time flies when your working on your bike!

• Tassie_Stephen

Posted May 31, 2004 - 11:51 PM

I saw an article in Australasian Dirt Bike here in Oz. They used a chain link off one of the bolts close to the carbie. I've looked through my back issues and of course I cant find it. Anyway they used the chain link as an anchor to wire the carbie to. I hope that was some sort of help. :thumbsup:

• gonzo

Posted June 01, 2004 - 01:01 AM

Same thing happened to Chris Whitcraft on Reality of Speed a couple weeks ago. Just popped off and he had it wired.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.