Edelbrock Quick Silver is it worth the money?

31 replies to this topic
  • qadsan

Posted June 02, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Isn't it so that more jets and needles (thus more adjustment settings) allowes for preciser tuning?

Yes. More air/fuel circuits can allow better & more precise tuning, but its also more complex and more time consuming and not within everyones grasp. The size, length & shape of the carb's bore / venturi also play an important part in performance in addition to the float circuit and those are things that most people can't tune without the proper equipment & knowledge to do so.

Most of our riding time is typically spent on the needle, which is why the needle length, diameter & taper is vital for performance. If you look at the CRF, YZF & KTM forums where people have bought the James Dean custom tapered needle kits sold here on TT for ~$70, you'll read all kinds of positive comments about those kits and for good reasons. Edelbrock also has a special needle that's precision back-cut to a special taper and you won't find this type of multi-function needle used in the Keihin or Mikuni carbs. In addition to the clicker adjustment on top which raises or lowers the precision back-cut needle and the external accelerator pump adjustment screw, the needle itself can be swapped out for different applications. As with most carbs, the Edelbrock also has an adjustable idle circuit.

My 'guess' is better WOT performance might be obtained from the Edelbrock with the addition of a main jet, but that's only specualtion on my part. If it comes right down to finding a carb that allows an engine to produce the highest peak HP, then I would think the Keihin FCR would be the ticket because its really a very fine product, but peak HP isn't everything in my book and there's more to the definition of performance than just peak HP when I'm looking at aftermarket products. For instance, there's plenty of aftermarket pipes that claim to make more power and people regularly line up to buy these claims to get the most power, but not everyone takes into account the shape of the power curve or the fact that they may be losing power elsewhere to get more peak power. I may not get the most peak HP from the Edelbrock carb when compared to a properly tuned FCR, but its not too far off based on dyno charts I've seen in the past and it offered other important features that were attractive to me. Another interesting thing about the Edelbrock is that its accelerator pump only squirts fuel when you twist the throttle quickly, otherwise it returns the extra fuel to the bowl unlike the Mikuni TM or Keihin FCR where the accelerator pump squirts with every single twist of the wrist. If I'm out for a longer ride in the desert, I try to be concious of this and work the throttle accordingly to conserve fuel, but its hard to be gentle on the throttle due to the grin factor :thumbsup:

• billyboy11b

Posted June 02, 2004 - 09:03 PM

Some of us have pumpers on our 650Ls, and would pay full price for them all over again :thumbsup:

• redrider013

Posted June 02, 2004 - 10:58 PM

... but its hard to be gentle on the throttle due to the grin factor :awww:

I hear you there :thumbsup:
and thanx for the clarifying reply

• husky123

Posted June 10, 2004 - 06:33 AM

How's the Edelbrock throttle pull weight compare with the stockers heavy pull? Just curious. Lee

• bikesinmud

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:15 PM

I would definitely pay full retail for the carb if I got another XR650R. I tried the Terry Cable hot start with the stock carb as my first mod since it was only about 70 bucks. It did not help much with starting a tipped over BRP. The quicksilver is fantanstic. The cable pull is heavier than stock but I don't get any problems with my forearm muscles. I just get sore back muscles because the bike is simply a rocket now and it pulls way harder especially off the bottom without the hesitation like the stocker, now I don't have to do lat pulls at the gym! Starting the bike now with this carb is what made me decide not to sell it, cold, hot, or starting after a tumble is a one or two kick process. :thumbsup:

• Seabass

Posted June 10, 2004 - 02:54 PM

I hope it's worth the money, since I just ordered one from Bob Barnum. I was hoping to get one for a race this weekend but Edelbrock is all outta them. Can't wait for the middle of June when they're supposed to ship. It better be worth it, the ol' lady doesn't get some goodies for the house cuz I'm gettin a new carb!!!! Yeehaa

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted June 10, 2004 - 05:56 PM

How's the Edelbrock throttle pull weight compare with the stockers heavy pull? Just curious. Lee

The throttle tension is adjustable incase feels too light or too stiff. Mine is as good as stock. Edelbrock had a period of time where they had it set too stiff for most folks, but I think they've since changed it.

• husky123

Posted June 11, 2004 - 12:47 AM

Thanks Qadsan. How do you adjust the cable tension though?

• qadsan

Posted June 11, 2004 - 09:12 AM

To change the throttle tension, all you need to do is move the throttle return spring over one notch on the pully to reduce its preload. If look carefully at the circular pulley type cable guide on the carb, there's a little allen screw right underneath where the cable rides in its groove and loosening it will allow you to remove it and adjust the spring for more or less tension.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted June 11, 2004 - 12:10 PM

i would pay full retail again :thumbsup: - in my opinion the pig needs 3 things...........

1. suspension
2. stablizer
3. edlelbrock

jeff :awww:

I am with Jeff -those are 3 basic things that are a must for haulin' booty through the desert. Just watch out for the 3 feet high squared off sand drifts when you are doing 70 mph - they will break your neck!

T-Diddy

• Rokatt88

Posted June 11, 2004 - 01:24 PM

A few of us here can vouch for the Edelbrock! After T-Diddie's Massive Auger-In in which the whole rear end was morphed into modern art. We started his bike in 2 kicks! :thumbsup:

Earlier that day I had hit a tight section with another tweezed sand drift and as I was cresting it I did a soft-sorta-roll off. I was at the top of the drift so as I went over my bike ended up upside down alond the downside of the drift. It took me what seemed a minute or two to drag the bike down further so I could right it...jumped on the bike, 2 kicks and she was running like nothing ever happened. The more I ride with this carb the more if feel I made a great investment!

Rokatt Report...Over N' Out! :awww:

PS, We been missin' ya here on TT T-Diddie. Keep on posting Bro! :lol:

• jws

Posted June 11, 2004 - 01:37 PM

i would pay full retail again :lol: - in my opinion the pig needs 3 things...........

1. suspension
2. stablizer
3. edlelbrock

jeff :lol:

I am with Jeff -those are 3 basic things that are a must for haulin' booty through the desert. Just watch out for the 3 feet high squared off sand drifts when you are doing 70 mph - they will break your neck!

T-Diddy

i just added a 4th - EVS neck roll :thumbsup:

rode 80 miles gorman forest last sunday - its hard to get used to in the tight stuff but i dont think i will notice it in the wide open desert :awww:

hows the healing going T-Diddy?

jeff :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.