Bent Front Rim

11 replies to this topic
  • pwisz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 02:16 AM

Hey guys, last night in the heat of the fray, front end of 426 started to snowplow. After the race i found that sometime my front tire had gone flat. There seems to be no damage to the front tire but the rim has two slight bends(???). One is slightly visible and both can be felt. Does this require a whole new rim change or will it be ok. Like I said, the one you can see if you look hard enough and you can feel it. The second you might not see if you are looking but you can feel it. Am I good for the rest of the season if I just repair the flat??? Help!!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 02:42 AM

Someone who has done a lot of work with wheels may be able to straiten it out enough to use the rest of the season for you (or longer).

• pwisz

Posted June 15, 2002 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the reply sir, I'm looking locally for someone to give me a hand. He did say that there are alot of enduro/ hare scrambles type riders who get alot of mileage out of way worse rims. Peace of mind for me at least.

• RIDEPATE

Posted June 15, 2002 - 08:04 AM

I wouldnt sweat it too much, i ride cross-country and bend the crap out of them all the time , as long as it dosn't look like a taco let it go. jimbo

• freestyle111

Posted June 15, 2002 - 10:15 AM

i know a guy who does wheel repair and lacing.i dont know how much shipping from canada to use would cost you.But this guys prices are pretty cheap and he's probably the best wheel in USA.i know he taught guys from Wheelcraft how to lace and true.he does all mine and my buddies rims. Kelly Moss San Jose,CA. phone#[408]254-0440

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:54 PM

any good cycle place or even bmx place should be able to true your wheel enough to give you a season's ride on it. if your so inclined, it can be done half-assed without even removing the wheel from the bike (youll need to to fix the flat though)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • milz

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:55 PM

You can ride on it until it breaks. I have seen guys take a rubber mallet and smack the bends flat and then they are fine. Excell rims will break on the seam after alot of abuse but not just on a flat spot.

• pwisz

Posted June 17, 2002 - 01:27 AM

Been busy with yard work this weekend, but am fixing the flat tonight. The rubber mallet sounds good though, I think it'll be ok, it was just not having dealt with this before that was worrying me. The replies gives a little peace of mind though!

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2002 - 05:08 AM

Freestyle111, will this guy fix bent rims w/o hubs or spokes? I have a few sets of Front & rear Excels that need to be corrected...

• pwisz

Posted June 17, 2002 - 02:10 PM

One more thing guys, I've got a couple of egg'd spoke nipples that Yamaha will not sell individually. But for $88.00 I can get a full set. Anyone know where you can get individual spoke nipples or even in sets of 1/2 dozen or so.

• MateoB

Posted June 19, 2002 - 02:48 AM

I lost a spoke a few weeks ago and went to the local shop to find the same, that they don't sell spokes individually. However, the shop decided to buy a set for themselves to keep on hand for people who don't need a whole set and are going to sell me an individual spoke. Maybe you can convince your shop to do the same...

Matt

• pwisz

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:20 PM

Originally posted by MateoB:
Maybe you can convince your shop to do the same...

Matt

Good Idea, never thought about that. Worth a try, thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.